News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Tool Rest locking action

Started by Jan, October 05, 2015, 01:53:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jan

Very interesting reading, Herman*:)
Thanks for sharing with us your very interesting story. HP calculators were/are really legendary, well known for their use of Reverse Polish Notation. I was using the programmable HP-97 with magnetic cards and thermal printer, and I still remember how I enjoyed it. Later I was using TI-59 which was more powerful and cheaper.

For preserving historical memory, thirty years ago, I bought discarded Swiss mechanical calculator. I paid equivalent of $3. The mechanism, operated by electric motor, is still fully functional.

Division is accomplished by repeated mechanical subtractions. My grandchildren like the noise produced by the calculating machine during the division of large numbers. It's really rumble.

Jan

*P.S.: Now, when I learned about your professorship, I should address you Professor or Professor Trivilino.