News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Which model?

Started by egomatic, August 03, 2015, 10:51:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SharpenADullWitt

Jeff, you can actually see this model is the second model, but the first motored model, via this page:
http://tormek.com/international/en/about-tormek/the-tormek-story/
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

egomatic

Hey guys, found the solution for the problem on my machine in the tormek handbook,

the motor was running but slipping on the black rubber of the honing wheel, sandpaper did the trick...

tx!
steve

Ken S

Good job, Steve.

Keep us posted.....

Ken

egomatic

Well...

the problem seemed a bit more serious, as the metal pin coming from the motor was practically not spinning when pushing against the stone.

After mailing with Pontus Gyllby from Tormek, explaining my problem, he suggested to send me a 'similar' capacitor, one they had in stock. What a great service for a 2-3-4nd hand Tormek from '85. Needed some time to find my soldering iron, but it did the trick!

what a great service! I got the impression the stone is spinning (much) faster than before (it was not identically the same capacitor), could that be a problem?

tx guys, thank you so much Tormek after Sales...

steve

Jan

Steve, the major role of the capacitor is to start the single phase induction motor. The capacitor simulates the second phase.

It is strongly recommended to replace the capacitor by one with the same parameters (capacity and voltage). Capacitor determines, among others, the heat power produced by an idle running motor. It is known fact, that the temperature of an idle running motor is larger than the temperature of a loaded motor.

Jan

egomatic

OK, tx Jan,

but I guess the one Tormek sended me couldn't do any harm, or would you suggest to look further for the same model for the future?

tx
steve

Herman Trivilino

I would think that the one Tormek sent you would be the right one for your unit. If you are at all concerned you can check with Tormek to make sure. The capacitance needs to match, but the voltage need not. In fact, a capacitor that's capable of handling a higher voltage might actually work better than the original.
Origin: Big Bang

Jan

Steve, only the capacity and voltage of the capacitor are important, not the model/manufacturer. There are of course some reasonable tolerances 5 to 10%.

As Herman said, the capacity needs to match (must not be higher), while the voltage may be higher (must not be lower).

The motor will run even without a capacitor, but you will have to start them by hand in the desired direction. The power of a motor running without a capacitor will be lower.

Jan