News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Sharpening for a better burr

Started by stevebot, July 18, 2015, 06:19:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevebot

Here is a video on how to use the Tormek knife jigs from the horizontal support to get a larger exit burr.
https://youtu.be/NXwQms8-A5g
Steve Bottorff; author, teacher and consultant on knife and scissor sharpening.

Ken S

Excellent post, Steve. Very informative and it shows how the Tormek can be used in different ways.

Be sure and catch Steve's sharpness testing you tube.

Ken

Elden

Excellent material, Steve.
   I noted with great interest  the point about pivoting the knife as well as lifting the handle. It makes perfect sense that the point of contact between the knife edge and the grinding wheel should be maintained at the same line (point) on the grinding wheel after Steve pointed it out. That explains why the bevel becomes more blunt at the knife tip when the handle is lifted without the pivoting motion.
   Thanks Steve for the answer!
Elden

Elden

Steve's video about "Sharpening Knives With Inside Curves" is should be watched item.

https://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=KrhZULmd18g
Elden

Herman Trivilino

Quote from: kb0rvo on July 22, 2015, 07:40:39 AM
I noted with great interest  the point about pivoting the knife as well as lifting the handle. It makes perfect sense that the point of contact between the knife edge and the grinding wheel should be maintained at the same line (point) on the grinding wheel.

I agree. That's an excellent point that I had not considered.
Origin: Big Bang

SharpOp

". . .  the point about pivoting the knife as well as lifting the handle."

Yup.  And this point is one that has been flubbed a bit by more than one demonstrator/instructor.  Steve does the best job I've seen of describing and demonstrating the technique required to produce a uniform bevel.

Ken S

Agreed.  If Tormek did not want some pivot, why would they have put a radius on the knife jig instead of making it flat?

Ken

Jan

You are correct, Ken.  :)

Tormek handbook does not explicitly use the word pivot, but from the figures it is clear that the knife is pivoted.

The last sentence below the figure should read: "Raise and pivot the knife handle when grinding the tip of the knife."

Jan

Ken S

Jan

Quote from: kb0rvo on July 22, 2015, 07:40:39 AM
I noted with great interest  the point about pivoting the knife as well as lifting the handle. It makes perfect sense that the point of contact between the knife edge and the grinding wheel should be maintained at the same line (point) on the grinding wheel after Steve pointed it out. That explains why the bevel becomes more blunt at the knife tip when the handle is lifted without the pivoting motion.

You are correct, Elden.  :)

Correct montage of the knife in the knife jig is necessary condition for grinding the same edge angle along the entire blade.

Before grinding a knife I always check whether the tip of the properly pivoted knife touches the grindstone at same line as the straight part of the blade.

If the tip of the pivoted knife is below or above the line, I adjust the knife position in the jig according to Tormek handbook instructive figures.

Jan

Elden

Thanks Jan. I see what you are referring to. It appears that one could work with the knife that is clamped near to the handle as long as the line of contact remained the same. One would have to be more careful to not go above the line. The third picture definitely shows the preferred mounting. The second obviously would not allow an even bevel to be ground. Thanks again for the tips, Jan.

Edit
   After more thought on my comments, I am not sure that clamping near the handle would be workable. Even though the point of contact remained at the line,  I do not think the handle could be lifted high enough to keep the bevel angle from becoming too small as illustrated in Jan' s first picture. I reckon it is time for me to go actually try it on the Tormek instead of talking theoretically!  :)
Elden

Jan

Ken S

Another excellent post, Jan. Your posts illustrate how easy it is to become complacent and overlook good basic technique.

Ken

Jan

Thank you, Ken.  :)

It is really a pleasure for me to participate in discussions on this forum. The fast response time helps me to be sure that my opinions are not biased.

Jan

P.S.: Additionally, I'm still trying to improve my English. Thanks for your indulgence.

SharpOp

Quote from: Jan on July 24, 2015, 07:38:14 PM
The last sentence below the figure should read: "Raise and pivot the knife handle when grinding the tip of the knife."

Exactly.

I think your English is coming along just fine, Jan!   :)