News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Where should I order T-8 Black?

Started by BaltoT, April 26, 2024, 04:32:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BaltoT

I decided to get T-8 black.

Please recommend online store (or a local store around Raleigh NC), where I should order it. I know the price is everywhere the same, but I hope you have preferred stores where maybe I can get better support, etc. I looked at Amazon and there are two sellers: Hartville hardware and Yellowhammer tool works.

Also, what wheels/accessories/kits should I order with T-8 black. I will be using it for:
- chisels, including wide timber frame chisels and slicks
- planer blades
- knives (kitchen, etc)
- axes
I see the black t-8 comes with DF-250 diamond wheel. Do I even need another wheel?

Ken S

Here is a list of dealers in North Carolina:

https://tormek.com/en/support/where-to-buy/woodworking--crafts

One is listed in Raleigh. I Living in Ohio, I have no personal experience good or bad with any of them.
I do have long, positive experience (over fifty years) with Hartville Hardware and more recent positive experience with Sharpening Supplies. My gut feeling is that any of the listed dealers should treat you right.

You will need the SE-77 for chisels and plane blades; a
KJ-45 for almost all kitchen knives; and the axe jig.

I would recommend staying with just the DF-250 grinding wheel at the start.

I recommend getting a small square. A turkey baster, coffee filter and plastic jar will help recover the ACC.

Be sure to study the Tormek online classes. They are an xcellent learning resource.

Keep us posted.

Ken

TormekTitan

I got mine recently from Hartville Hardware. Fast shipping and secure packaging.

GeoBoy

I purchased my T7 and accessories from Advanced Machinery, nice people. www.advmachinery.com

cbwx34

Quote from: BaltoT on April 26, 2024, 04:32:24 PMI decided to get T-8 black.

Please recommend online store (or a local store around Raleigh NC), where I should order it. I know the price is everywhere the same, but I hope you have preferred stores where maybe I can get better support, etc. I looked at Amazon and there are two sellers: Hartville hardware and Yellowhammer tool works.

It looks like you have a local Woodcraft store and another one called Rockler... you might check there.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

RickKrung

Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

John Hancock Sr

Quote from: BaltoT on April 26, 2024, 04:32:24 PMAlso, what wheels/accessories/kits should I order with T-8 black. I will be using it for:
- chisels, including wide timber frame chisels and slicks
- planer blades
- knives (kitchen, etc)
- axes

The SE-77 jug for plane blades and chisels
The SVH-320 for planer blades
For the rest you can go a couple of ways. I got the HTK-806 hand tool kit which has the knife and axe jugs amongst other things. Otherwise you can go for the KJ-45 knife jig and the SVA-170 and add the others as you need them.

The other thing about the T8 black is that it only comes with the DF-250 which is good for general purpose sharpening but you may want extra wheels, say the SG 250 and/or the DC and DE wheels.

As for price I have found that here in Australia we can often get discounts on Tormek products. I often find around $100 off the wheels and similar discounts on other jigs et al. I check Amazon, Ebay and dealer's web sites. This may be due to our consumer laws which (mostly) outlaws price setting.