News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

"bargain Tormek"

Started by Ken S, April 17, 2015, 02:08:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Herman Trivilino

I can see how people who paid good money for a Tormek and then found themselves not using them would want to recover their money. I can also see how someone who inherited or otherwise came into possession of one would want to get a good price for it. However, like others have said, buyers need to be aware of the major things that cause the used machine to be worth less than what the buyer asks. Here's my list ...

1. Worn grindstone.
2. Missing jigs.
3. Rusted main shaft.
4. Older jigs and Universal Support that lacks the Micro-Adjuster.
5. No provision for horizontal mounting of the Universal Support.

A new T-7 will come with a new grindstone, a new Square Edge jig (as opposed to the older Straight Edge jig), a new stainless steel main shaft with Ezy-Lock (as opposed to the old tool steel main shaft without Ezy-Lock), and a new Universal Support with Micro-Adjuster.

Any of the older machines with the 50 mm wide grindstone (the SuperGrind 2000) can be updated with all of these newer features but the cost will easily offset any savings you may have gotten by buying a used machine.

So let the buyer beware. I wouldn't buy an older machine unless it was at a very low price or was in excellent condition and had all the modern upgrades.
Origin: Big Bang