News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

new member with an old machine

Started by philk, January 08, 2015, 03:33:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

philk

Hi Everybody,
I bought an old Super Grind machine about two years ago and have been using it ever since for my chisels and planes. It works okay, gets the job done, but it doesn't have the power it should. I can pretty easily stop the grinding wheel by putting too much pressure down on the chisel while sharpening. Of course having a nice fresh truing on the wheel makes it better. I went in to the store and tested a new T-7 with my hand on the grinding wheel to make sure. The new machine is noticeably more powerful.
I took mine apart, took the grinding wheel off (not as carefully as I should have!), and of course it is all rusted where the water ran down the side of the stone. I greased it up with 90-weight grease, but little change in apparent power.
I ordered a new axle today, along with a horizontal base and U-support with microadjust.
My question is: can I expect the fresh axle to deliver more power, or should I take the motor apart and check for loose leads and the like? I can't imagine that the motor is worn out, that just doesn't seem likely from what I've read.

SharpenADullWitt

http://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=1004.msg2446#msg2446

Common issue seen from lightly used Tormeks, from what I have read. Most likely need to lightly sand the drive wheel to stop the stalling.  If you have to start it spinning by hand:
http://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=969.msg2320#msg2320

90 Weight grease sounds thick (but I think my brain is on axle lube, as it is late).  Teflon based lubricant, Superlube and White lithium grease have all been recommended or used by members here (that I am aware of).
http://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=1472.msg4816#msg4816
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Ken S

Welcome to the forum, Phil.

The new main shaft won't give you any more power, however, it is definitely a worthwhile upgrade. It is stainless steel and the EZYLock mechanism works very well. I changed out the shaft on my first Tormek (replaced only because it was stolen; Tormeks don't wear out).

I believe disassembling a Tormek is a valuable learning experience. It inhanced my appreciation for what a well made but very simple machine it is.

The sandpaper cleaning technique should restore your drive wheel to full power.

In case you are wondering, the new shaft comes with a new stainless nut for only one end. This is the new left hand thread for the wet end. The other end of the shaft stays dry and the original nut should be fine.

Do keep us posted.

Ken

philk

I'll try roughing up the rubber on the drive wheel as suggested, thanks. That's where it is slipping.

Otherwise I'll post back when the new axle is in. I expect the smoothness of a new part will get me half way there.

Herman Trivilino

Make sure the end of the shaft is clean and dry where it makes contact with the rubber drive wheel.
Origin: Big Bang

philk

Thanks for the help everyone... I replaced the shaft and support, took apart my unit, removed rust and old finish with the grinder, and repainted the stripped chassis. Real forest green of course! I was reasonably impressed by the quality of the guts of the tormek, there's nice cotton pushback wire, and thick quality bolts.

The ground connection tab had cracked inside the switch, which I suspect was the main culprit in my power issue. I replaced the tab, reassembled my tormek, and it really cooks now. Plenty of power. I have to be careful sharpening my smallest chisel as it visibly shortens the end of the chisel as it grinds!

I have been building doors in white oak and mesquite lately, and mortising those woods for locksets and hardware catches really eats your chisels. My tormek has kept me efficient and happy through some long days. It takes me no more than three minutes to get a perfect fresh edge on my wide chisel.

Thanks everyone!

Herman Trivilino

Quote from: philk on March 14, 2015, 05:25:25 PM
I have to be careful sharpening my smallest chisel as it visibly shortens the end of the chisel as it grinds!

Try using the stone grader to prepare the grindstone to the finer 1000 grit. That will make it harder to remove too much metal.
Origin: Big Bang

Ken S

Phil,

Glad your Tormek is rejuvenated. You have ended up with both a fine running machine and a deeper understanding of how it ticks. Good job!

An old Chicago saying comes to mind with your chisels, "Vote early and often!"

Ken