News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

an alternative to stone replacement

Started by Ken S, December 13, 2014, 12:39:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

I realize that when the grinding stone is worn to the extent that it no longer reaches into the water trough it is done and needs to be replaced.

Let's think outside the box. Robin Bailey has posted some excellent arguments for a support bar which can be raised higher than the standard bar. (for sharpening Chinese cleavers). With no taller support bars available, why not lower the grinding wheel? The easiest way to do this is by using a smaller diameter wheel. The easiest way to get a smaller diameter wheel is to purchase a new wheel before the present well worn, but still usable wheel is totally worn out. Reserving a wheel with twenty per cent of useful life remaining will probably sharpen a lifetime of cleavers.

As I recall, Robin found that an extra inch of support bar height would do the trick. A ten inch wheel worn down to eight inches would provide a wheel one inch smaller in diameter.

A quicker but more costly way to do this is to purchase a new smaller wheel. The standard T3/4 grinding wheel fits exactly. All it needs is an extra steel washer. Order a spare part washer for between the shaft and the grinding wheel and you're in business. As Rob would say, "Bob's your uncle!". If you don't already have one, this is an excellent time to upgrade to an EZYLock shaft.

I still prefer a taller support bar. However, this seems like a workable work around.

Ken

Rob

I must say I've not gone down the ezylock route yet myself but perhaps this Christmas.....:-)
Best.    Rob.

Ken S

If you do go down that road, Rob, I think you will like the EZYLock. Two thoughts: 1) If, by chance, Tormek AB has not acted upon my suggestion to include a simple reassembly drawing with the kit, make yourself a drawing as you disassemble things. 2) Make a simple drawing with arrows on a label and stick it on your Tormek so you will never forget how to easily remove the wheel. If you do this, as you get older, Bob will always be your uncle.

I hope the Tormek Christmas elf visits your house this year.

Ken

SharpenADullWitt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IX96a9WoAJE&list=UUyS4VRap5TmeAno45sECfhQ

I used this along with the setting up your Tormek the first time (from the dvd), where I lubed the new bushings when I installed them with the shaft.
I didn't really see any wear on the old bushings (prior owner may have replaced them when ordering the new stone after chipping it getting the old off), but I would rather have spare then chance it.
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Ken S

Thanks, SADW, that's a useful video guide.

Ken

Herman Trivilino

Note the washer located behind the grindstone. It's barely visible in the video when he removes it, but he does display it when he places it back on the new shaft. I was surprised that a replacement washer is not provided in the upgrade kit, but the old one seems to be holding up just fine. Perhaps it's stainless.
Origin: Big Bang

Ken S

While the video is well done, I still believe a one page simple diagram included with the start kit would be useful.

Ken

SharpenADullWitt

I agree with you on the paperwork, because I wasn't sure about the reason for the two holes.

I also found it odd, that this video, seems to be sponsored by someone who sells/used to sell? Tormek stuff (now them seem to have a clone), and NOT Tormek themselves or through Jeff's Tormek video's (wouldn't this have been back when he was "associated" with them and not just selling them?).
Still, I found it by going through every video I found on Tormek on Youtube, and thought posting it here for future questions, might make finding it easier.  If it helps someone in the future, it has done its job. :)
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Ken S

SADW,
This is the same video as the one on the tormek.com website. The presenter is Alan Hotham, and it is an official Tormek video.

Ken

Herman Trivilino

The main shaft in my MSK-250 upgrade kit does not have those two holes or the pin.

Ken S

Herman,  you have one foot in each world. How would you compare the new EXYLock shaft with the traditional shaft?

Ken

Herman Trivilino

Quote from: Ken S on December 19, 2014, 02:52:32 AM
Herman,  you have one foot in each world. How would you compare the new EXYLock shaft with the traditional shaft?

What are the two worlds, Ken?  ???

With the EzyLock shaft I don't have to worry about rust. Plus, the EzyLock feature means I can perform the routine maintenance task of lubricating the bearings with much greater ease. No tools are required!

I ruined a good grindstone because of neglect of this task with the original shaft so now I'm vigilant.