News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

nylon bearings wear?

Started by Ken S, September 27, 2014, 06:19:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

I am curious to know if anyone on the forum has actually had to replace the nylon bearings because of wear.  In fairness, we should include if the wear was a result of use with proper maintenance or from having a rusty pre stainless steel shaft which might have been left in water and not greased.

The nylon material seems up to the task for the slow 90 rpm of the Tormek, quite a bit less strain than 3450 rpm of most motors.  Mine get very light use and the longevity of my sample was interrupted when someone stole my first Tormek.

Thanks,

Ken

SharpenADullWitt

Quite honestly, I replaced mine when I upgraded the shaft, and I didn't really see a difference.  Because of that, I kept the old as a just in case type of thing.
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

jcmv4792

Deleted - Wrong thread

lars667

I just bought an SA-250, which is probably more than 20 years old, and as there was a wobble on the stone, I changed the bushings. There was a small amount of wiggle room, but I think acceptable. I don't think the bushings made any difference. The stone, however, was very untrue.

Ken S

Lars,

Before you do too much with dressing your stone, Jeff Farris posted a while back about finding "the Sweet spot" when he mounted a wheel.  As he was traveling to deomonstrete the Tormek and removed and reinstalled the wheel for each location, he had a lot of experience doing this.  I would suggest finding the best spot for your wheel before doing anything else.

I just checked.  Doing a search on the forum for "the sweet spot" will bring up sveral posts.

Ken