News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Measuring the stone

Started by Jordanaambargis, September 27, 2014, 02:30:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jordanaambargis

How do I measure the stone on my Tormek T3??  Thanks

grepper

Hi Jordan, Welcome to the forum!

Not quite sure what you are asking.  You want to measure the diameter, from edge to edge across the center of the stone.

Use a ruler.

Is that what you are asking?

The shaft protrudes from the side of the wheel, but you can accurately measure the diameter without removing the wheel:

Wrap tape completely around the wheel and mark the tape where it overlaps.  Pull the tape off the wheel and measure the distance from the end of the tape to your mark.  That will give you the circumference.

Then:

Radius = circumference / 6.28
Diameter = 2 * radius

Ken S

Welcome to the forum, Jordan.

New grinding wheels for the T3 are 200mm diameter by 40mm width. The width shouldn't change with normal use.  The diameter will gradually decrease, as with any grinding wheel.

The T7 (and, I believe, the newly introduced T4) have a scale on the side of the housing next to the grinding wheel.  It should be easy enough to make one for your T3. If your wheel is new (or at least dressed straight across and not tapered) use a piece of blank white label tape stuck onto the side of the housing.  Scribe a line with a sharpie straight across your grinding wheel.  You can use the USB (universal support bar) for reference.  (This is described in the video which illustrates sharpening a skew chisel. Once you have that line across your wheel, use a rule to extend it to the label tape.

You can measure the wheel with a cloth or plastic sewing tape.  Measure the circumference of your wheel and divide by pi (3.1416) You can mark this number (approximately is quite adequate) on your label tape.

If you are interested in making a more complete label tape, I'm sure Stig can give you dimensions for completing your "ruler".

If you are just curious about the actual diameter of your wheel, the sewing tape circumference divided by pi will let you know.  Or, you could use calipers of some sort.

By the way, if for some reason you do not have a copy of the well done handbook, you can download it from another tab of this website.  I have the latest version downloaded in ibooks on my ipad.  It is useful for ready reference, and more up to date than my paper copy.

Keep us posted.

Ken

ps The photo of the T3 Grepper posted in the new member question clearly shows the diameter scale to the left of the grinding wheel.