News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Rust removal - electrolysis

Started by grepper, August 22, 2014, 05:40:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elden

It looks nice, Mark. Only, it looked totally usable before you started. I would like to see one those field finds done that we would occasionally would find while working ground on the farm. After several years in the soil, they made that look like minor surface rust. I am sure they would have major pitting showing after the cleanup.
Looks great!
Elden

grepper

True, true Elden.  It was sort of useable prior to cleanup. It hadn't completely frozen up yet, but the thumb screw was very difficult to turn and it would hang.  The resistance spring in the screw had started to rust, so it would have been a goner had it not been for its good fortune in getting salvaged.  Probably could have cut up some other spring to replace it if need be   Now it's nice, smooth, lubricated with Super Lube and rust protected in there.

You are correct.  Unfortunately electrolysis won't fill pitting if present, and badly rusted stuff always has more or less pitting.  Nickel electroplating would fill pitting to some extent though.

One thing that electrolysis does well is to remove rust from any pitting and small areas that a wire brush would not touch, and does not abrade the surface further. .  Great surface prep after cleaning.

Anyway, its degradation is halted and it's a much happier and more useable tool now that no longer turns your hand brown.

I'll try to dig up a real archaeological find if I can find one, and post the results. :)