News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

axle play stone moving up and down -nightmare! Tourmek 1200 (Old model)

Started by Ambrose, July 21, 2014, 11:28:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ambrose

Hi Everyone!
Please help. My old tormek 1200 has axle play. It moves up and down and I am unable to truin the grindstone. The play seams to come from two insufficient plastic washers that the axle sits in. The axle itself looks fine.
1. Are these replaceable?
2. If Not would replacing the axle fix the problem. As I believe it comes with these washers.

Please help I've just spend loads of cash buying jigs for this machine which is one of the first models!

Much appreciation for any replies!

Ken S

Welcome to the forum, Ambrose.

Yes, replacement nylon bearings are readily available.  This is from sharptoolsusa.com.  They are the US parts distributor. You might check; I believe they come individually.  You will need two. you can install them yourself.  The process is not difficult and should take no more than fifteen minutes.

Just a thought:  Before ordering the replacement bearings, look at the condition of your shaft.  If it is rusted, you might want to consider upgrading to the new EZYlock shaft.  The shaft kit comes with new bearings. You can get it from sharptoolsusa.  It is listed under upgrades.  The T3 parts will fit your T1200. The EZYlock shaft is well designed and works well. it is also made of stainless steel. You can read about it on the Tormek site. I upgraded my shaft.  While not immediately obvious, it is not difficult to do.  The process is essentially replacing the nylon bearings and swapping shafts.

While you are on the sharptoolsusa site, I would suggest downloading the (free) latest edition of the T3 (successor to the T1200) handbook. I filed it as an ibook on my ipad for ready reference.

I don't mean to assume you live in the US.  Post a question if you live in another country.  Someone on the forum will know the parts distributor for your area.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Ken

3061 Nylon bearing
← Previous productNext product →

SKU   3061   

Our price: $5.80

Ambrose

Hi Ken,
Thanks for your reply I'm in the UK but replies from the USA are greatly appreciated! I removed the shaft and it is corroded. I will order the stainless steel one and a few spare bushes. Do you grease your shaft - I have read that a few people use silicone based grease - would you recommend that?
Many thanks Ambrose

Rob

Hi Ambrose, I'm UK based. 
For spares I would try D&M tools based in Twickenham (and mail order) or Axminster.

Cheers

Rob
Best.    Rob.

Ambrose

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the lead. I can get replacement axle bushes for the T7 but not the 1200 (T3) maybe they fit both?
Cheers Ambrose

Ken S

The upgrade shaft kit should come with a new set of nylon bushings.  You shouldn't need to order any more bushings (at least for many years).  I use white grease.  (not sure if that is considered silicone grease).

Ken

Ambrose

Ken S

One suggestion, Ambrose:  Before you disassemble your Tormek, have a pencil and paper handy.  Make drawings of how you disassemble things.  Putting the unit back together was not quite intuitive for me.  No big deal, I just wish I had made a couple drawings.

By the way, the kit probably does not include a nut for the "dry side" (honing wheel).  The dry side not is not stainless steel.  Actually, since it doesn't come into contact with water, it doesn't need to be stainless.

Once you have everything together, spend a couple minutes practicing loosening the EZYlock.  It is a left handed thread, really quite clever.  Hold the honing wheel with one hand and pull the grinding wheel toward you (grinding wheel positioned on the right).

Let us know how the process goes for youl.

Ken

Rob

I use an iphone's video mode for that so I can have a commentary for any weird bits as I go.  Very useful.
Best.    Rob.

Ken S

Good thought, Rob.  We Neanderthals still like pencil and paper..........

Ken

SharpenADullWitt

Quote from: Ken S on July 22, 2014, 12:33:43 AM
Good thought, Rob.  We Neanderthals still like pencil and paper..........

Ken

Uhg, cave drawings. :P
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Rob

I stumbled on using the video mode when I had a particularly difficult assembly to dismantle when maintaining my garden tractor.  I had no experience of the mechanics in question and it was riddled with custom springs and circlips and split pins etc....a nightmare to have to avoid the out-of-sequence-reassembly gumption trap.  My piece of paper had been blown away by the wind and I'd lost the pencil in a pile of grass clippings.  Bing!  Light bulb.  Use the phone, lets face it the cameras useless for anything else :-)
Best.    Rob.

Ambrose

Just to let everyone know just had confirmation from Brimarc that the Nylon Bearings bushes for the T3 (1200) and T7 are the same! Part number 21110347 in the UK. Thanks for everyone's help! Parts ordered and soon I'll have very sharp tools again!!!!

Ken S

How many iphones have lasted as long as the Magna Carta?  ;D

Ken