News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Fingernail Spindle Gouge

Started by jimmyhil, June 05, 2014, 05:04:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmyhil

I have a problem sharpening the fingernail profile on My Spindle Gouges using the Tormek.  Rather than the edge between the tip and the wing being straight it dips into a concave shape which means when I use the gouge I am only cutting with the tip and extreme end of the wing.  can anybody help me with this.  thanks  Jim

Rob

When you sweep into the wing, just keep hand pressure in roughly the middle of the wing until you see the metal ground off leaving a straight side.  Then do the other wing and then match the tip with a side to side (but stopping short of each wing....sort of from 10 o clock till 2 o clock) movements until the bevel about even.

Make sure your grindstone is trued before doing this or you'll just grind in the radius of the stone.  It's not that difficult, you just have to treat the gouge as if it were 3 separate operations, wing 1, wing 2 and then the nose.  Don't be afraid to lean on the metal so it comes off fast enough for you to see the line forming with your eyes.
Best.    Rob.

Jeff Farris

Jimmy,

A concavity usually indicates that you are not grinding enough at the very point of the tool.
Jeff Farris