News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Time for a New Finish

Started by Herman Trivilino, June 02, 2014, 04:15:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Herman Trivilino

Purchased in 2002, my SuperGrind 2000 has been well used and is in need of a refinish. 

After complete disassembly, this is what the frame looked like.

The powder coat, or whatever the original finish is, flaked off in big pieces.  Especially near the bottom of the frame, and on the side where the grindstone is mounted.

In the next photo you can see the damage caused by the type of neglect described in my rusty main shaft adventure (read about it here: http://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=929.0).

Origin: Big Bang

Herman Trivilino

After brushing primer on bald spots and applying a spray coat of primer ...

You can't tell from this photo, but I made no attempt to feather the edges of the existing finish.  No body filler was applied, just several brushed on coats of primer on the bare spots, with 150 grit hand-sanding between coats.  This is a tool, not a car. So there's been no attempt at filling and feathering to hide the broken edges of the original finish.  I'm just interested in getting a good water proof coat of paint.

Rob

Looks great Herman.  Nothing like a bit of good old fashioned care to re-energise the tool for another decade.  With that kind of regimen, she'll go on indefinitely and continue to give service.  The exact opposite of the more modern trend for consuming and then throwing away.  Well done.  I rather like the look of the grey primer too in fact.  Are you going to leave her like that or give a coloured top coat?
Best.    Rob.

Herman Trivilino

I thought about different colors, Rob, but decided on flat black.

Here we are, ready for assembly ...

And now ready for final assembly ...

And here it is ready for use ...

Ken S

Nice job, Herman!  A very informative post, too.

Many more years of service!

Ken

Rob, on this side of the pond, we aren't big on grammatical gender.  I didn't know a Tormek was considered feminine in old world English......

Herman Trivilino

Thanks, Ken.

A ship is a "her".  Maybe it was the battleship grey primer that defined the gender for him.  ???

Rob

Haha....oh yes....she's a lady alright.  And getting finer with each passing year.

Well what a cracking job Herman.  I think she looks absolutely tip top in that matt black. Splendid, very well done :-)
Best.    Rob.

Jeff Farris

To me, all well-behaved, cherished equipment is feminine. Cars, tools, etc.

Stuff I struggle with becomes "it".  :D
Jeff Farris

Rob

Quote from: Jeff Farris on June 04, 2014, 12:55:46 PM
To me, all well-behaved, cherished equipment is feminine. Cars, tools, etc.

Stuff I struggle with becomes "it".  :D

Now my wife on the other hand.....

(Just kidding Honey :-)
Best.    Rob.

Ken S

Herman,

You should hire the services of a local artist or sign painter and label your Tormek, "28th Anniversary Limited Professional Model"! That might cause quite a stir.

Ken

ps Clever comments, Jeff and Rob, and quite nervy for married men who might wish to remain so........

Rob

Go faster stripes and drop handlebars next I reckon Herman!  You've gone and "pimped" your Tormek :-)
Best.    Rob.

SharpenADullWitt

Just found this, as this is one of the things I was wondering about when I joined and asked about refurbishing.  (my understanding is this wasn't powder coat but paint)

Wondering if anyone has matched the green (does it match an existing color for ones that only need chip touchup)?

This looks good.  If I did mine, it would probably end up red, simply because of the amount of red paint cans I have here, from other projects (bought on sale for $1 a can when I needed any color paint).
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Herman Trivilino

If I had it to do over I would probably start with electrolysis to remove all of the old paint.

http://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=2054.msg9995#msg9995

As far as color matching goes, well, I'm just trying to protect my investment by reducing the likelihood of rust.

Red sounds like a dandy color!

If you do decide to do it please post pics.  I'd love to see them.

Rob

agree entirely.  A fire engine red would be quite something to behold.
Best.    Rob.