News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Sharpening a Global knife, before and after!

Started by Stickan, April 08, 2014, 03:17:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stickan

Got this knife on a fair last week and it took me about 7-8 minutes to get it as good as new.

Stickan

Rob

Nice work. That little ding is exactly like the problem mine suffered from. And that is the exact same chefs knife that I have that had the problem
Best.    Rob.

Herman Trivilino

Like I said before, when I've seen that type of damage it's because the steel can't hold up to that sharp of an edge angle.

I'm interested to know if taking a steel to that knife will cause that kind of damage.
Origin: Big Bang

Jeff Farris

It's hard to tell, but I would blame those nicks on impact. I have Global knives, too, and find them to be excellent steel that holds an edge well, but the steel and the hardening process don't take well to whacking. Right tool for the job, and all that.

BTW, anyone notice that we have new categories? Knife sharpening and drill bit sharpening have been given their own space.
Jeff Farris

grepper

Yes to new categories!  Personally I'd like to see more, and even subcategories.

Global agrees with Jeff about the chipping.  They say that large chunks in the blade can't be repaired.  Obviously they don't have a Tormek. :)

My knife is chipped, what should I do?

Niks in the blade:

Small niks in the blade are created through normal use of the knife, so don't panic if this is what has happened. Using a whetstone or even a Minosharp pull-through sharpener should remove these niks for you and get your knife back to brand new sharpness. For larger niks you may need to get your knives professionally sharpened.

Because chips and niks in the blade are not due to manufacture fault, they are not covered by the knife guarantee.

Chunks in the blade:

If the knife blade hits bone or frozen foods, the result can be that the blade has large chunks appear. Unfortunately these are irreparable and the Global knife guarantee is only valid for manufacture fault.

Cutting through frozen food, bone or any such product that results in large chunks in the blade is mis-use of the knife and therefore the knife is not under guarantee and you will need to purchase a replacement.

Rob

Note to self:

Only use global knives to cut marshmallows:-)
Best.    Rob.

Herman Trivilino

Quote from: Stickan on April 08, 2014, 03:17:26 PM
Got this knife on a fair last week and it took me about 7-8 minutes to get it as good as new.

Did you use the grindstone in fine mode the entire time, or did you first prepare the stone using the coarse side of the stone grader?
Origin: Big Bang

Stickan

I started with the coarse side, the Global knife feels very hard even if it´s about 56-58 rockwell but when I passed all the nicks I used the fine side.
I finished it with the honing wheel of course, getting it as sharp as it can get and the edge will last longer.

courierdog

The before and after edge pattern are different as well. It would appear that it was poorly sharpened before as well as chipped.
Nice consistent edge on the after.
This is one of the blade shapes I am having difficulty with, achieving a consistent, even, edge along the full length of the blade.
I have some very fine blades which I will not trust to my skills with the Tormek until I can master the skill over the full length of the blade.
Retired Engineer

Richard Brand

Nice work!  From information on the web, it seems that Global knives should be sharpened to 11.5 degrees but my Tormek template only starts at 15 degrees.  Any help you can give much appreciated!

Stickan

Hi,
The latest model of WM-200 goes to 10 degree, we changed that some years ago.
Regarding angles on Global knifes, they are between 10-15 degree each side when they are new.
I sharpen my Global/Japanese knives at 11 degree pr side. My other kitchen knifes at 15 degree each side. I find that this works good in our family, I sharpen my knives about once a year and hone them 2-4 times.
And with the Anglemaster you can test and find an angle that works for you and your way of using a knife.

Stig

Dutchman

Quote from: Richard Brand on September 09, 2014, 03:59:55 AM
Nice work!  From information on the web, it seems that Global knives should be sharpened to 11.5 degrees but my Tormek template only starts at 15 degrees.  Any help you can give much appreciated!
I proposed an accurate and simple method of adjusting the grinding angle, including 10 degrees.
See http://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=1849.0

True Edge

The majority of my sharpening is knives. When I first purchased my Tormek, I also purchased the long knife sharpening attachment; it was awkward for me, so I decided to go freehand. I too sharpen Global knives, also Miyabis', Shuns', Henkels and Wustoffs' along with Chicago cutlery and Cutcos'. My clientele, which is by and large, cooks and chefs are very happy with the quality of the edge. I have gotten several requests for what could be called "compound" edges, meaning, some chefs like the tip of the blade to have a more acute angle than the heel which can only be done free hand. Regardless, the end results are GREAT !