News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

knife sharpening

Started by Chiltop, April 02, 2014, 01:39:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CleanCut

I've tried the dowel wrapped in abrasive paper, suggested on this Forum, and it can work for me on a bread knife.

fllee

Good evening. I realize this thread hasn't been addressed in a while, but I too have a solution for serrated knives. Unfortunately, it isn't a Tormek solution (I just acquired my T7 recently).
For some time now, I have been using a low speed buffer (1750 rpm) with rubberized abrasive wheels which I round the edges using a stone dressing tool to accommodate the width of the gullets on the knives.
I'd be happy to discuss it further if any one is interested.

Fllee

Herman Trivilino

Somehow I missed this thread and seem to be reading it now for the first time.  Nice work, Chiltop.  I wouldn't have thought that grindstones could be sliced up that way!  Awesome.

On your home made universal support I recommend taking a flat file to the threaded portion, flattening off the ridges just a bit.  And then flatten the side that makes contact with the set screw some more, almost to the valleys of the threads.  Run the die over it one more time to clean up the threads. 

Then use some bondo to cement the nut into the cap of a beverage container.  This will make it much easier to adjust the height.  You can see mine in the photo, and it spins so easily that if I give it a start it will continue for a revolution on its own.

Origin: Big Bang

Chiltop

Hi Herman,

Sorry I haven't replied earlier is have just had one of those months!!!!!

Thank you for the tip with the bottle top and flattening the threads that is something I am definitely going to do when I get chance.