News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Problem sharpening 3/4" Spindle Gouge Chisel using Gouge Jig - Help?

Started by oakesgc, March 29, 2014, 11:46:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oakesgc

I finally got everything setup and was able to sharpen a few chisels.  The basic set contains: 15/16" x 17" Parting Tool, 13/16" x 17" Round Nose and 3/8" x 19" Long Bowl Gouge; 1" x 17" Skew, a 5/8" x 22-1/2" Roughing Gouge and a 3/8" x 19" Spingle Gouge.  Everything was going well until I found that the one I call the large spindle gouge (13/16" x 17" Round Nose) would not fit in the Gouge Sharpening Jig (SVD-185) because it would not pass thru the opening in the tool holder part of the jig to allow me to set the protrusion with the TTS-100 Tormek Turning Tool Setter.  It appears that it is too large for the opening even when the disc is retracted to the maximum using the knob. 

The problem one actually a 3/4" Spindle Gouge.  Sorry about name confusion.
Any suggestions how to get around this problem?

Rob

I think you can unscrew the disc bit from memory which allows you to screw the screw (if that makes sense) directly into the flute of the gouge to pin it to the gouge jig at the protrusion you want.

Are you sure its a spindle gouge we're talking about here??  Sounds awfully big.  Are you sure you're not talking about a roughing gouge?  Have a look online to eyeball the differences.  If so the roughing gouge is sharpened with the multi jig in the open seat position.  You match the bevel angle with the sharpie method and then make a spacer block to quickly set the protrusion from that point forward.

Also the naming is confusing.  Strictly speaking, your title ie a round nose chisel actually refers to a scraper and not a gouge at all???  Scrapers are sharpened at 80 degrees typically using the Torlok toolrest.  But from your description it sounds more like a gouge.

I think whats needed is a more definitive understanding of the precise tool you're aiming to sharpen.  Are you able to post a picky?  To do that you host the picture on photobucket or similar and then link to it from the post here.  (There is a sticky with instructions on how to post pics).
Best.    Rob.

oakesgc

The tool I am refering to I would call a 3/4" Spindle Gouge, and it is 2nd one down in the picture.
It has a very large profile that fills the gouge jig opening, and is used for removing lots of material when turning a square spindle down to the round before creating any fine patterns with the other tools.  Sorry about the name confusion.

#1 - 5/8" Roughing Gouge - 22-1/2" Long
#2 - 3/4" Spindle Gouge - 17" Long
#3 - 1" Skew - 17" Long
#4 - 13/16" Round Nose - 17" Long
#5 - 15/16" Parting Tool - 17" Long
#6 - 3/8" Spindle Gouge - 19" Long

thanks,
Greg

Jeff Farris

The second one down in your picture is a spindle roughing gouge. You have the job right, but the name wrong. You don't want to sharpen that with the SVD-185. The SVS-50 is the correct jig for that. The SVD-185 is designed to create an elliptical profile, but for a roughing gouge, you want a straight profile.

#1 is not a roughing gouge. Can't tell exactly from the picture, it is either a bowl gouge or spindle gouge. The deciding factor would be the shape of the flute. If it is a broad curve, it is a spindle gouge. If it is more of a "vee" shape, it is a bowl gouge.

Watch the DVD that came with the Woodturner's Accessory Kit. It will teach you quite a lot about which tool is which and how to sharpen them.
Jeff Farris