News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Honerite Gold

Started by Bernard Calip, January 16, 2014, 05:12:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bernard Calip

Just got my Anniversary Tormek T7 from Advanced Machinery, SWEET.   :)

Their Tormek Price List has Honerite Water Additive listed at $29.50.

Does anyone add this to their water for the grindstone?
It is supposed to prevent rust.
Wonder how this affects the grindstone?

Thanks, Bernard

Rob

sounds like a bit of a gimmick to me.  I've never heard of anyone adding anything (except a magnet for those like me who pre-date the in-built magnet) to their water bath.  It's primary purpose is more likely to boost the profits of the seller (he said cynically :-)
Best.    Rob.

Ken S

Bernard, welcome to the forum.

I have not used Honerite gold.  I have read about it and thought about using it.  I believe my first contact with it was in the Lee Valley catalog.  I have always found Lee Valley to be completely reputable.

My question would be: Is it necessary?  I have not noticed a rust problem when sharpening my tools.  Of course, rust can be a problem, but I have never seen it start when I sharpen.  I wipe the tools often and always spray and or wipe them with a rust inhibitor as soon as I am through with the sharpening process.

Many of my tools are older.  One of my Stanley jack planes is 1891 vintage.  The "new" smoother is circa 1930.  Chisels are all over the vintage map.  My point is these are not the latest and greatest alloys. 

If I was really concerned about a tool rusting during the sharpening process, I would switch (back) to my ancient oilstones.

While there may be situations where the Honerite Gold would be beneficial, I think it is often a solution in search of a problem.

Ken

Herman Trivilino

It used to be that the main shaft was made of regular steel and rusted.  I think additives in the water to prevent rust may have been needed back then.

Now the main shaft is made of stainless steel.

Removing or emptying the water trough when the machine is not in use should keep the main shaft from rusting.

As to the tools rusting, well, that's gonna happen when the tool just sits on the work bench.  The sharp edge is thin and will rust easily even if kept dry.  It's important to oil the tool, otherwise you'll be sharpening the tool more often to make up for what's rusted away.

The only exception for me is my kitchen knives.  I don't oil them.
Origin: Big Bang

Bernard Calip

Rob, thanks for reply, I didn't buy it.  I will wait and see.

Ken, before I bought my unit from Advanced Machinery, I looked at a lot of T7's and they all showed rust on the frame.
So, I am going to try and make sure that I dry the Tormek before I put it away.
I always clean my working tools and keep them oiled so they don't rust, Thanks.

Herman, that's why in the end I decided to buy a new model, for the Stainless Steel Shaft.
I also heard the Powder coat would help prevent rust.
Thanks for replying to my question.

Rob, Ken and Herman Take Care, Bernard

Rob

Interesting thread. I must confess I've never even thought about rust on the frame of the T7.  I am almost certainly guilty of not particularly caring for mine in that respect and yet after 6 years there is no evidence at all of rust anywhere.  Mine just sits on my sharpening station.  I don't even put the dust cover on it. (Which is lazy I admit).  I do religiously remove the water trough after each session or the stone wicks up water and then you're at much more risk of the innards rusting as it drip drip drips all over them.  But I've always been of the mind that getting air to it is the best way of keeping it dry.  I also always clean direct water spills off the top.  However I will say that when the usb is in the low position for grinding away from you (which it is for almost all turning tools) you get a lot less spillage so it's less of an issue than say plane iron sharpening up top.

I might pay a little more attention to its rust risk in the future :-)
Best.    Rob.

Stickan

There is no reason using Honerite, but if you are using a CBN wheel you may need Honerite to prevent the wheel itself from rusting.

Ken S

Good thoughts.

My second Tormek (first one stolen) came with the rotating base.  When I first installed it I was skeptical about the magnetic shims.  Granted, they help keep the water away from the inside of the unit.  However, I like things plumb and level.  I tried it and was pleasantly surprised that the slight listing did not bother me at all.  I would recommend the rotating base, or at least using shims under the leather honing side of the unit.

I had not thought of using Honerite to prevent rusting of the Tormek itself.  My first unit already came with a stainless shaft (not the EXYlock).  I think the EZYlock is a worthwhile upgrade, especially for units without stainless shafts.

I empty the trough and dry the unit religiously.  It should be a habit.  (I confess that my cover is sitting next to the unit.  That is another good habit which hasn't quite kicked in yet.)  I lift the Tormek out of the rotating base after each session to keep it dry.  It does get wet.

One small thing I do and would recommend is running the motor for around twenty seconds with the trough removed.  This (at least in my little mind) allows centrifugal force to help wick the moisture in the stone to the outside.

Don't forget the occasional grease on the shaft.

Ken

Herman Trivilino

I've been lazy about keeping the frame dry.  My unit is circa 2004.  In that time the bottom pieces of the frame have rusted and the paint has peeled off.  But the rust appears to be only on the surface.  Some day I'll get off my arse, clean off the loose rust, apply that stuff that bonds with the rust, and then paint it.
Origin: Big Bang

sharpie

Quote from: Herman Trivilino on January 17, 2014, 03:37:23 PM
I've been lazy about keeping the frame dry.  My unit is circa 2004.  In that time the bottom pieces of the frame have rusted and the paint has peeled off.  But the rust appears to be only on the surface.  Some day I'll get off my arse, clean off the loose rust, apply that stuff that bonds with the rust, and then paint it.

Herman,

When that day comes be sure to check out: www.boratool.com/restore-rust-remover-gel-250ml. it really works good for me.

Then in the future I always use the hone right gold. www.boratool.com/hone-right-gold-250ml the cost is an insignificant amount to pay to protect your investment. Each bottle of Honeright concentrate makes 6-7 Liters of non-corrosive water, which is approximately 12 water troughs full.

Bernard,

Your question about how it affects the stone, there is no affect on the stone, other than eliminating the ugly rust effect that happens when metal particals get embedded in the stone.

CleanCut

I too have noticed that the surface of the stone gets "discoloured". I use good quality water, work on clean tools and keep the T7 dry and covered when not in use. Can it be that I am seeing rust in the surface of the wheel from embedded steel fragments after sharpening HSS bits?