News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

need a knife edge/sheath supplier

Started by Exact Blade, October 31, 2013, 01:04:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Exact Blade

Any names of companies that I can order custom bulk paper/cardbaord knife edghe guards/sheaths?
Exact Blade Inc.

grepper

You asked this awhile back, so I guess you still have had no luck sourcing them.  I hate to say this, but "me too".

I've done a lot or searching and they are out there, but cost a couple of $$ or more each.  To much for giving away with every knife you sharpen.  You would think they would be cheap considering they are just paper but No!  Strange.  Limited market I suspect.

If you find a source, please let us know.  I'll do the same.

SharpenADullWitt

I found an old thread and went looking at the Tormek group on Yahoo.  In their attachment section they have a pdf that you can save/print off, and then use that on thin cardboard or just leave a paper sleeve on.
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

fllee

I know this is an old post, and may be missed, but.....

I regularly buy from: http://www.knifesleeves.com/

It's the only supplier I've found, but I find them to be responsive, and offer reasonable quantities at prices you can roll into your price structure to offset the cost.

Fllee

SharpenADullWitt

Having a local damaged freight store, sometimes office supplies can be found cheap.  Saw this the other day when trying to find out about knife rolls for a friend:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQ3KA1IuSp4
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Herman Trivilino

That's a good way to reuse old folders, too.  Usually it's the top (where the label is) that wears out leaving a perfectly good bottom.
Origin: Big Bang

kwakster

Roll the blade tightly in a few layers of cardboard just a bit longer than the blade itself & tape it shut with packing tape.
Using more than just one layer of cardboard makes these knife protectors thicker as well as stiffer, which will prevent both the edge as well as the point from slicing or sticking through when handling.
You can also make thicker rolls that can hold multiple knives at the same time.
I make both for kitchen knives i've just sharpened, and many Chefs like them so much they keep using them for extended periods.

Ken S

I like Kwakster's idea. When applying the packing tape, be sure to place a nicely printed label with your business name and contact information. Assuming that the knife owner keeps your wrapping, it is a logical first place to check for future sharpening.

Ken

ps Don't forget fridge magnets as advertising.