News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

for older members:

Started by Ken S, July 30, 2013, 08:18:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SharpenADullWitt

Quote from: Ken S on January 22, 2015, 12:08:03 AM

We don't leave the field; we just plan better.
We eventually fertilize the field!

Don't be poorer; be more skilled and more focused.

Ken

Skills do help.  Tools just make the job easier, skills give you options on how to do things with both good and lesser tools.
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Tarhead

I've done two things to help with light in my shop:

1. Clean the top surface of any exposed fluorescent bulbs. I noticed when changing a bulb that they were covered in dust on the top. It was like I doubled the number of fixtures.

2. My shop is an attached garage with a door opener that has two 60 watt incandescent bulbs under it.  The bulbs can be operated separately from the door opener and they are directly above my tablesaw.  I removed the 60 watt bulbs, installed a "Y"socket in each receptacle and installed 2, 100 watt CFLs into each "Y".  This increased light output from 120 to 400 watts equivalent and only demands 92 watts total so there is no concern about overloading.

Ken S

Good thoughts, Tarhead. I did not realize how important good light was until I stumbled upon really good light one day.
In my case, the really good light was the open shade just outside my garage door. It made all the difference.

Ken

Rob

Its so dark in my workshop I cant find the light switch!
Best.    Rob.

Ken S

Rob, do a Google on "Thomas Edison". He's an American chap with an idea which might help your shop. :)

Ken

grepper

Haha.  Comedy! :)

BTW, how old is old?

Rob

Old enough to still get into trouble but wise enough to know better!
Best.    Rob.

Rhino

I have one of those seasonal affective disorder light boxes - the brightest one I can find.  10,000 lux at 30 inches.  I take it with me everywhere around the house.  In the "workshop" I got two sockets.  I put socket splitters on them and screw on 4 60 watts fluorescent bulbs.  Each of the bulbs is supposed to be equal to a 300 watt light bulb.

The most wonderful addition is an oversized giant leather recliner and a laptop computer.  I am not in a hurry.  I watch a movie on the internet while working and take a nap here and there.  Take pictures of the project as I go along.

I do smaller projects now.  Like restoring old fountain pens.  The tormek is amazingly useful for fashioning and shaping small metal pieces like nibs, springs and things like that.  Of course, the nib tips only sees 12000 grit sandpaper but I found I can also grind a fine nib into an italic nib on the tormek.  I am talking about $20 nibs, $5 nibs.  Not $500 nibs on the tormek.  :)

I am not retired.  Still holding down a demanding job.

Ken S

Fascinating post, Rhino. You have found an application for your Tormek which provides you great satisfaction. We all need ways to restore and maintain our quiet inner equilibrium.

Herman has used the expression "sharpening hobby". Very descriptive, Herman. I think your pen restoration hobby would fall into the same therapeutic catagory.

The Tormek seems ideal for this work. The water bath frees the mind from any worry about riuning the steel from overheating or stress cracks. The tool is quiet and gives off no sparks or dust. While a turner might be frustrated with the Tormek's more measured pace in reshaping a gouge or skew, the andante tempo suits the work and the state of mind in these areas.

One of the projects I have in mind is setting up my Tormek on either the back deck or front covered porch during the milder parts of the year. When the light and temperature are right working that way is far more pleasant than working in a garage or basement workshop. The back yard is quiet and has a bit of wooded area. The front porch faces west, providing lovely soft open shade lighting in the morning and early afternoon. Sharpening need not be unpleasant just because it is also practical.

Related to this is my favorite time to post on this forum. I am usually awake and up by four. I like to curl up in a comfortable chair with a thermal mug of coffee and my ipad. I have the ipad screen dimmed. The room lights are also very dim. My wife and grandchildren won't be up until about six. The room is very quiet and I have  no sense of deadline. I happen to be retired now
Quote from: Rhino on January 31, 2015, 06:26:02 AM
I have one of those seasonal affective disorder light boxes - the brightest one I can find.  10,000 lux at 30 inches.  I take it with me everywhere around the house.  In the "workshop" I got two sockets.  I put socket splitters on them and screw on 4 60 watts fluorescent bulbs.  Each of the bulbs is supposed to be equal to a 300 watt light bulb.

The most wonderful addition is an oversized giant leather recliner and a laptop computer.  I am not in a hurry.  I watch a movie on the internet while working and take a nap here and there.  Take pictures of the project as I go along.

I do smaller projects now.  Like restoring old fountain pens.  The tormek is amazingly useful for fashioning and shaping small metal pieces like nibs, springs and things like that.  Of course, the nib tips only sees 12000 grit sandpaper but I found I can also grind a fine nib into an italic nib on the tormek.  I am talking about $20 nibs, $5 nibs.  Not $500 nibs on the tormek.  :)

I am not retired.  Still holding down a demanding job.

, however, the quiet early hours also helped me focus when I was working.

Thanks again, Rhino, for an interesting post.

Ken

Ken S

See the "beyond knives" topic posted in this section.

Ken