News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

for older members:

Started by Ken S, July 30, 2013, 08:18:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike40

Fun video Paul. We can behave the way we want in our own little universe that we call our workshops. I can see that you are creating things out of love for your work and the result, not for the money, even though you surely need money like everyone else. When your liquor cabinet door is open, it's like walking into very special bar. Very  creative and and a lot more than just woodworking with the special lighting and mirror surfaces.
Mike

Rob

The real question Paul is......how often is it opened :-)
Best.    Rob.

RobinW

Paul - Interesting video and drinks cabinet.

There are woodworking forums where members submit their work for comment and criticism, and if you don't mind, I would comment on your drinks cabinet.

It's impressive design and workmanship would be greatly enhanced by the obvious presence of some Scotch Single Malt Whisky.
I would recommend any or all of the following:-
Lagavulin; Laphroaig; Ardbeg; Bunnahbhain; Caol Isla; Talisker; Macallan. (There are many more!)

I would stress these should only be sampled and enjoyed when you have finished for the day and the machines are all off. Slangevar! Skol! Prost! Cheers!

Rob

Best.    Rob.

MakerUnknown

Thanks all.  I'll be sure and let the film maker know, he loves compliments as well.

Rob.  No, never worked with a wooden view camera.  Back in the film days I would say 95% of assignments were shot on view cameras with most being done on 8x10.  Mine are big and heavy and metal.
I haven't looked through one in quite some time at this point.  All digital.

The liquor cabinet is opened frequently although in reality my drink of choice would be beer.  Made myself a very nice Negroni last night before heading out for some more late night San Francisco revelry. I went through a single malt scotch phase quite a few years ago, right now I seem to be investigating the aperitifs and digestifs of the world.  But I do love a good single malt if someone wants to give me one... :)

Ken S

Paul,

You missed a treat by never having worked with a wooden view camera.  My 1910 vintage Kodak D2 8x10 would comfortably fit in a regular book pack with its triple convertible lens, focusing cloth and a few holders.  It was comfortable to carry that way all day.  (The tripod I hand carried got heavy.) The "little" 4x5 was very portable.

I have used a digital camera since 2005.  I appreciate some of the advantages of the technology. However, I miss the flexibility and "pixels" of the big negatives.

By the way, the eighteenth amendment which started prohibition allowed the use of alcohol for religious purposes.  This loophole was much abused!

Ken

mike40

Quote from: Ken S on August 09, 2013, 01:46:37 PM

By the way, the eighteenth amendment which started prohibition allowed the use of alcohol for religious purposes.  This loophole was much abused!

Ken

And righteously so Ken!
Mike

MakerUnknown

Quote from: Ken S on August 09, 2013, 01:46:37 PM

Most of my photography business has been in the wine industry so I know a few of the wineries I have worked for only stayed in business because during prohibition they were allowed to make wine for the religions that use that in their rituals.

Ken S

Many years ago I visited the Lonz Winery near Sandusky, Ohio.  During prohibition they sold home kits for making wine vinegar.  The wine was presumed to be made into vinegar.......

Ken

MakerUnknown

nothing to say here

Ken S

Paul, I regret that you felt you should pull your post.

Ken

Fineline

Quote from: Ken S on July 30, 2013, 08:18:08 PM
I have noticed that many of us on the forum are either senior citizens or fast approaching it.  We may also have some younger members who are beyond their years in eyesight or arthritis.

Sooner or later, we must all face the fact that the time will come when we are no longer able to enjoy using the Tormek or do woodworking.  I believe our best defense against this time is sharing the ways we have devised of dealing with declining eyesight, diminished strength and arthritis.  We have a wealth or experience in this area, and sharing it can only help all of us.  Even those of us who do not yet qualify for senior citizen discounts (I'm thinking of you, Jeff) may have experience coaching older Tormek users.

Ken

Sigh. Each time this thought comes by, I will tell myself 'time is running out'.
So, whenever I am stuck as to whether to buy or not to buy a tool, usually I give in because
'time is running out' and end up poorer and poorer. What a lousy excuse.

Ken S

Joe,

I think you have misunderstood my comment. My point was to stress the value of sharing ideas. For the record, I have not  completely stopped buying tools; I have just slowed down considerably. That is not just because of age. I am finally realizing that more stuff equals more distractions. Unnecessary tools mean more time committed to maintaining them.

My original reason for purchasing my Tormek was due to my aching hands after flattening the backs of several chisels. I don't find flattening faster with the Tormek; my hands just don't hurt after using the Tormek. Perhaps that was a concession to getting older.  If so, so be it.

We don't leave the field; we just plan better.

Don't be poorer; be more skilled and more focused.

Ken

gwelsby

Ken,
  once again a thread I hadn't seen bubbles back to life after a couple of years. (Note to self:  Spend a weekend reading EVERYTHING here :) ).  I find myself saying "Jeez, Gerald.  This is going to be you in n years time" until I realise that, at 56, I'm older than most of the posters! :))
G.

Fineline

Quote from: Ken S on January 22, 2015, 12:08:03 AM
Joe,

I think you have misunderstood my comment. My point was to stress the value of sharing ideas. For the record, I have not  completely stopped buying tools; I have just slowed down considerably. That is not just because of age. I am finally realizing that more stuff equals more distractions. Unnecessary tools mean more time committed to maintaining them.

My original reason for purchasing my Tormek was due to my aching hands after flattening the backs of several chisels. I don't find flattening faster with the Tormek; my hands just don't hurt after using the Tormek. Perhaps that was a concession to getting older.  If so, so be it.

We don't leave the field; we just plan better.

Don't be poorer; be more skilled and more focused.

Ken

Ken, I'll bear that in mind - stay focussed.
My hands (fingers actually) are aching too, especially during sleeping hours - they become stiff. If anybody knows why is that and how to manage better, please share with me. Told the doctor and don't seem to get anything concrete.
Cannot stress them else it will get worse.