News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

new full member

Started by Ken S, July 24, 2013, 10:00:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

Congrats, Mike 40!  I believe Jeff is correct in stating you are the fastest new member to reach 100 posts.

When I first joined this forum in 2009, no one had even reached fifty posts.  That would not happen for a while after that.  The most new posts was 17, and twenty replies would have placed a thread in the upper part of the top ten.

Not only are the numbers up, recent posts seem generally more interesting.  We had some good posts before, but not nearly as many as we do now.

I'm pleased to be a part of this forum.  i look forward to many more interesting posts.

Ken

Herman Trivilino

Hear, hear!

Ken and I have now reached 800 posts and climbing.  For me, most of those have been made in the last few months.
Origin: Big Bang

Rob

Since I joined to be precise Herman :-)
Best.    Rob.

mike40

Thanks Ken. This is the first I've heard about another promotion! I like to jabber and I'm always eager to learn new things about woodworking, especially sharpening, which can make working with wood so much more satisfying. I am getting into hand tool working more and more and it pays having a good edge with this kind of work. I find you guys on this site to be perhaps a little obsessional about your tools and sharpening, and I like that. Maybe it will rub off on me. I'm a late comer to hand tools having started with machines 17 years ago, although I have acquired a few hand tool skills here and there over the years, enough I hope, to give me an appreciation of what they can do in the right hands.
Mike

Ken S

Mike, this may not be true in Norway with VAT, however, in this country, your new elevated status, plus a dollar, will probably get you a cup of coffee at the nicer fast food places and gas stations!

(I'm partial to good fresh gas station coffee.  I have drunk a lot of it ferrying my grandchildren back and forth to pre school.  I can drink all week for the price of one "fivebucks" coffee.)

Keep up the diligent work and you will soon become a senior member!

ken

Rob

a dollar for a cup of coffee!!!!

Blimey Ken......you couldn't get the cup for that here!!
Best.    Rob.

mike40

That's good to know Ken in case I visit the US, sounds like a real bargain to me. A cup of coffee goes for around kr.25 ($4) here. We are a major producer of gas and oil, but no matter, diesel goes for about $10/gal. and unleaded 95 octane for about $11/gal. A Veritas Jack plane (bevel down) sells for $508 locally. We aren't spoiled like the folks in Kuwait.
Mike

Rob

but you do have a lot of blonde women....with Viking blood!
Best.    Rob.

Ken S

Mike, you would feel at home in the US.  Starbucks coffee is four to five bucks a cup, hence the nickname "fivebucks".  My favorite coffee is actually "homebucks", regular Maxwell house made with a tea kettle and a simple Melitta filter and elegantly served in my ten year old insulated mug. It suits my simple nature.

We also have many blondes here, although most of them were not born that way.

The flip side of our generally lower cost of living is we have no national health care.

Ken

jeffs55

The short reason for the newest member attaining "full member" status is that this board has become much like a chat board. I registered 6-24-08 and have not yet attained full membership status. I hate to even post this as it just adds another post to my "score". The amount of posts one makes is not nearly as important as the content of that post. Those that post "good job" or something similar are just being talkative and not being useful. NO harm in that but it is just being social and not informative. I do not care how many posts anyone attains but it is not a score card. thanx
You can use less of more but you cannot make more of less.

Ken S

Jeff, as one of the chattiest members of this forum, I understand your point.  Yes, there is an element of chat board in this forum.  However, I have noticed that although the volume of chat has increased I have also noticed that the amount of valuable information has also increased. 

I don't see where the two are incompatible.  As to the titles, I don't think people take them very seriously.  I certainly don't.  I would mention it in my obituary right next to being a member of the National Geographic Society.  (For those who might not be familiar with this, being a member means your check for the magazine cleared.)

I suspect as a very frequent poster I have probably learned more about using the Tormek than those members who have never posted.  I would like to see more members posting.  I'm sure we have much valuable knowledge and experience which goes unposted and unshared.  Too bad; we could use more input from many directions.

Ken
"hero member"

mike40

About the blonde Norwegian women Rob. I married a Norwegian blonde 47 years ago and she turned gray. I'm not sure if it's old age or just being married to me! Nevertheless she is still adorable. As for chattiness on the site, I'm guilty. Humans are social animals and most of them behave that way. I like my technical information packaged in humor, kindness and a little sarcasm.
Mike

Rob

Couldn't agree more with both Ken and Mike.  No-one's keeping score on posts, we're just having a bit of fun and actually learning stuff at the same time.
Best.    Rob.

Ken S

Wise answer, Mike...... I like the humor on this forum.  Rob, I should have offered to share my recipe for dollar coffee for your dinner.

By the way, Mike, I'll trade you a spare adjusting nut AND a Lee Valley marking knife for a new Volvo.....What a deal.

Ken

Rob

so just to reiterate...no-one's keeping score on posts!
Best.    Rob.