News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

New bloke with a Supergrind 2000

Started by Ozwelder, July 22, 2013, 10:21:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ozwelder

Gidday you blokes,
I am new to the forum and would like to ask about a Super Grind 2000. Mine is the green model.

I was extremely fortunate in picking it up very cheaply with a swag of fixtures.I have it stripped at the moment as the powder coating was falling off in strips.

Is there a paint code code for it and can the stickers be replaced as the paint stripper ate through the masking tape and made them all wrinkly.I have etch primed it but not been able to locate paint in the shade of green it was originally.

Also I am hoping that it may take the drill sharpening fixture as the mounts appear to be the same as the current models.

Thanks in advance for your answers

Ozwelder

Jeff Farris

Stickers may be available from the Aussie importer, but they're old, so it's a gamble he'll have them. There's no international paint code. I would take a flake in to a good auto body paint supplier and let them get close.

Mounts are exactly the same...you're good to go on the drill bit attachment.
Jeff Farris

Herman Trivilino

Why are you interested in matching the paint color?  The new ones are blue.

Of course, I'm sure you plan on using a good primer.

It's a shame about the stickers getting ruined.
Origin: Big Bang

Ozwelder

Thanks fellas,
I chase up the Aussie agent for for Tormek.

Many other tools and benches in my workshop are a Ford Engine blue so I suppose I'll go with that.
Oz

violaine

Hi fellas,

This is my first post and what do you expect from a new member? You are all right! To ask questions! LOL
Sorry i was lazy (but quite excited) to browse the site for question which might have been answered before.
Anyways, I am from the Philippines, and like most of you here, a woodworker (a budding one). I recently acquired the model Supergrind 2000, 2nd hand but looks pristine though used. I am wondering if the accessories for the T7 will still fit this model. Also, i have read elsewhere in the forum that these supergrind 2000 grinding machines have different production years. So can you help me how to check which year mine was made?
By the way, the only accessory my unit has is a the standard chisel honing jig. I am planning on getting the truing tool, planer and jointer holder jig available on amazon. i want to be sure if these jigs will still fit my old Tormek.

thank you very mucho!
Sharp blades almost always leave a beautiful scar.

Herman Trivilino

Yes, all of the accessories and jigs for the T-7 will fit the older 2000.  The truing tool is a must-have.  If your grindstone is out of true you'll never be able to square ends on your chisels.  Also, when you grind on an out-of-true grindstone it becomes even more out of true.

Does your universal support have threads on one of the shafts? Is there a horizontal mount for your universal support?  As you face the machine with the top of the grindstone turning towards you, is the switch on the side nearest you, or is it on the back side?  If the switch is on the back side you have one of the oldest machines, less old if you have the horizontal support, and newest if you have threads on the universal support.

violaine

hi Herman,

i appreciate very much you chiming in..

i am on duty (as a pathologist) right now and when im back at my shop, il be taking pictures of the tool for you and everyone else to see..

until then...

thanks again.

Ken S

Welcome.  I would go with the Ford Engine Blue color.  I suppose it is natural to regard an expensive object like the Tormek as precious.  I was the same way.  Eventually it evolved from precious to useful.  Useful is not as pristine as precious, but it is a lot more practical and fun.  Keep it reasonably clean.  Don't leave the water bath full between sessions.  Use your Tormek.  Should you reach the point where you wear out a wheel, your Tormek will be much more useful because of your experience.

Enjoy and keep posting.

Ken

violaine

as promised here is mine..cant find the serial number though..turned it upside down and could not see any label or sticker

I think its a must to have the truing tool right?
I will purchase it together with the honing compound. that should me settle somehow..

violaine

huh..my pics wont show...are there a number of posts required before I will be able to post pics?

I am using photobucket as file sharing site.

thanks folks!

Herman Trivilino

Quote from: violaine on November 27, 2013, 02:19:39 PM
as promised here is mine..cant find the serial number though..turned it upside down and could not see any label or sticker

It looks like you have a relatively recent version of the 2000.  I say this because you have the threaded universal support.  I don't know if the new version of the square edge jig came along after or before that.  I can see the jig in your photo but I can't tell if it's the newer SE-76 or the older version.  If it's labeled SE-76 it's the newer jig, which came out in 2007, or thereabouts.

Herman Trivilino

Quote from: violaine on November 27, 2013, 02:19:39 PM
I think its a must to have the truing tool right?

Absolutely, yes.  Without it your precision Tormek machine is pretty much useless.  It certainly cannot be used with the precision for which which the jigs were designed.

Herman Trivilino

Quote from: violaine on November 27, 2013, 02:25:34 PM
huh..my pics wont show...are there a number of posts required before I will be able to post pics?

I am using photobucket as file sharing site.

thanks folks!

Not sure if there's a minimum number of posts required.  I use photobucket, too.  You have to copy the link, and then paste it into your message, IIRC.

violaine

hi again..

this morning I tried the machine..let me write about it in some details.

well the stone is almost 250mm...on close inspection, it is not flat at all..maybe a mm or two, there is a visible concavity at the center..

I filled up the water trough to the desired level..

(btw, I put it on top of my table saw (quickly I realized I need to put some rag underneath in case this stupidity becomes a Murphys law in the making..well I got no nearby worktable in the first place within my reach)..

turned on the tool, heard some minimal noise while the stone is circling.. I think its just ok (is it really ok?)

lo and behold, the water quickly disappeared...ah yes it was absorbed by the stone..so I got about half a liter of tap water and instilled it in the trough..waited a bit and instilled more.

then I turned it on again, slowly lowered the edge of the 1/2" nicked chisel edge..then I have found out that the stone is not really flat...in fact it  was going up and down about a mm or 2...I observed the spindle while it turned and somehow it was steady (a  relief)...so I guess before I can truly make a sharp edge, I needed the truing tool...one month is the waiting time from the States to here..waah!

btw, the square edge jig it came with has no sticker and when I looked at the picture of its current version at Amazon, mine has no thumbscrew in the other end..i also wonder about the function of the separate 3rd plastic knob..is it to fix the square jig to the tool rest?

I am anticipating your feedbacks...I am the newest troglodyte in this tormek community...forgive me.

thanks in advance.

Herman Trivilino

Quote from: violaine on November 28, 2013, 02:52:47 AM
(btw, I put it on top of my table saw (quickly I realized I need to put some rag underneath in case this stupidity becomes a Murphys law in the making..well I got no nearby worktable in the first place within my reach)..

Mine is on top of my table saw, but I have a sheet of plywood on top of the table saw, plus a water-proof tray with a lip all the way around on top of that.  I hear that a cafeteria tray works well, but I've never tried using one.

QuoteI needed the truing tool...one month is the waiting time from the States to here..waah!

Have you checked the Tormek web site for a dealer closer to you?  http://tormek.com/international/en/resellers/

Quotebtw, the square edge jig it came with has no sticker and when I looked at the picture of its current version at Amazon, mine has no thumbscrew in the other end..i also wonder about the function of the separate 3rd plastic knob..is it to fix the square jig to the tool rest?

Not sure.  Mine is the older version of the square edge jig.  It has only two knobs.  The newer SE-76 appears to also have two knobs, plus two more on the stops.  Can you post a picture of yours?