News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

First thoughts

Started by Wybrook, March 06, 2014, 09:14:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grepper

Sure seems like it would be a good idea to have a separate sticky that sums up and fully answers the endless questions about oiling the honing wheel.   We see questions about it all the time.  Over and over!

Jeff, maybe you could write the thing up and sticky it at the top?

Stuff like:

Light weight petroleum based oil.  (Baby oil makes the shop smell good too!)
Don't use too much.  Just enough to get compound to stick.  Don't want a sloppy, slippery, rubbery wheel.
How to apply:  I put some on a rag and it evenly coated the wheel.  (Is that a good way, or just dribble it on?  Worked well for me.)
Compound needs to stick to the leather to do its job.
Maybe some comments on how much honing compound to apply and when to re-apply?

I remember when I first got the Tormek I had all the same questions.  It seemed mysterious and not fully addressed anywhere.   Eventually you get it figured out, but I think that a good, authoritative separate sticky would reduce a lot of duplication and really be appreciated by new owners.

Herman Trivilino

Maybe something like that could be inserted in the "Beginners Start Here" stickie.

http://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=1565.0

Origin: Big Bang

Gary

Quote from: Wybrook on March 06, 2014, 09:14:32 PM
After several months of debate I finally took the plunge and got a T-7 last weekend.  I'm only starting to get it grips with it, but it certainly feels like a quality piece of kit. 

I also recently bought the T-7 after months of deliberation. It was the Gransfors promotion that pushed me over the edge. I don't really need an axe I just thought it would provide me another blade to practice on...

Quote from: Wybrook on March 11, 2014, 11:58:25 PM
Reminds me of the piper who used to operate near Waverley station in Edinburgh.  He had a sign that read "English spoken, American understood"

I was in Edinburgh for the first time last June. Beautiful city. But it only took about 20 minutes before I received my first insult from a shop keeper for being an American...

Quote from: SSteve on March 19, 2014, 01:20:38 AM
I agree that it would be great if they included oil for the honing wheel. I bought my Tormek about a month ago and on Sunday was finally able to get it out of the box. I was excited to try it out, but didn't have any sewing machine oil on hand. I went to my local hardware store but the closest they had was 3-in-1. I didn't get it because I wasn't sure it was the right thing (and I guess it turns out that it isn't). Now I have to figure out who in my rural area sells sewing machine oil. In the meantime, I've yet to use my Tormek because of my trip to go look for oil. My first-use experience would have been greatly improved if the oil was in the box.

I got mineral oil from my local pharmacy...hope it's the right stuff...

Quote from: grepper on March 19, 2014, 04:17:10 PM
Sure seems like it would be a good idea to have a separate sticky that sums up and fully answers the endless questions about oiling the honing wheel.   We see questions about it all the time.  Over and over!...<snip>I remember when I first got the Tormek I had all the same questions.  It seemed mysterious and not fully addressed anywhere.   Eventually you get it figured out, but I think that a good, authoritative separate sticky would reduce a lot of duplication and really be appreciated by new owners.

I guess my newbie question revolves around the honing paste...do you need to apply every time you use the honing wheel or does it build up after awhile...how much do you use?

We have a big flea market near my home where I found some old knives to practice on. When I feel confident I'll move onto our kitchen knives. f that goes will I'll try my hand on the pocket knives. Eventually I want to sharpen my turning tools...

BTW...I have not had a need for the plasters yet....I've tried to be careful so far...

I

Herman Trivilino

Quote from: Gary on March 20, 2014, 02:57:57 AM
I got mineral oil from my local pharmacy...hope it's the right stuff...

That's the right stuff.  In Edinburgh you'd get it from your local chemist.   ;)

QuoteI guess my newbie question revolves around the honing paste...do you need to apply every time you use the honing wheel or does it build up after awhile...how much do you use?

It takes a while to build up a good feel for when you need to add honing paste to the wheel.  Remember that it's a paste with small abrasive particles in suspension.  Those tiny particles break away tiny chunks of steel, smoothing the edge of the tool.  As they get used up you need to add more.  Apply smaller amounts often rather than larger amounts less often.  It lasts longer that way and works better.

Good luck with your knives.  They can be a challenge.  On most knives the steel forms a burr that you can see and feel, assuring you that you've ground all the way to the edge.  Some of the more exotic knives, like a sushi chef's knife for example, are made of a more brittle steel, so it's harder to see or feel the burr.  Those knives are harder to sharpen.
Origin: Big Bang