News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

New t-7 will not run continuously

Started by Jgweaver, May 04, 2013, 04:48:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jgweaver

Just took it out of the box and plugged into 115V outlet.  Runs if I hold start button down.  Is the start button mechanically or electrically latched?

Herman Trivilino

Should be mechanical unless they changed it.  Are you sure you're depressing the switch all the way?
Origin: Big Bang

Mike Fairleigh

Note that it's a rocker switch, not a push on/push off.  If you're pushing in the middle, you might be rocking it to momentary contact.
Mike

"If I had 8 hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend 7 sharpening my axe."  --Abraham Lincoln

Rob

Hang on.......I thought the new T7's come with an NVR?

If that's the case then you've got an electrical contact problem either in the wall, the appliance plug or the switch.

Try repeating the test with a different mains wall socket.  If it still occurs, the problem is somewhere from the machines plug backwards to the switch. My money is on the wiring in the plug rather than the switch
Best.    Rob.

Jgweaver

It is not the outlet and I have been pushing the switch as far as it will travel.  Looks like I will have to take the thing apart.  Sounds like it is a mechanically latched switch so something must be wrong with the linkage.

Herman Trivilino

Quote from: Rob on May 04, 2013, 11:27:10 AM
Hang on.......I thought the new T7's come with an NVR?

What's a NVR?

Herman Trivilino

Quote from: Jgweaver on May 04, 2013, 03:35:37 PM
Looks like I will have to take the thing apart.

Call the vendor first.  Taking it apart might void your warranty.

Perhaps they can send you just the switch assembly.

Herman Trivilino

It appears they changed from a rocker switch to an electronic switch starting with serial number 514 458.

My serial number is 332 009, so I have the older rocker switch.

Jeff Farris

Have it looked at by your dealer before you start taking things apart.
Jeff Farris

Rob

Quote from: Herman Trivilino on May 04, 2013, 05:39:58 PM
It appears they changed from a rocker switch to an electronic switch starting with serial number 514 458.

My serial number is 332 009, so I have the older rocker switch.

Like I said....they now have NVR's (no volt release switch). This is a common feature on "dangerous" machine tools such that they cant be accidentally left on n the event of being unplugged with a mechanical switch left in the on position.  The switch auto switches to off in the event it gets no electrical current.  Thats why I think his problem is electrical not mechanical.  Have you checked the wiring in the plug?

If that tests OK (and by the way blown fuses in the plug are the most common electrical fault), then its off to the dealer or as the boys say, you'll void the warranty......thats 7 years bad luck!!
Best.    Rob.

Jgweaver

To late.  Took the switch out and tore it apart.  The switch has a 115V coil that latches the run contacts in then when the stop button is pushed it drops out the coil.  The steel arm that the coil pulls in has a slight curve and was in upside down so it did not have enough lift to close the run contacts.  Apparently they do not run these before they are shipped.

Mike Fairleigh

That must be a very recent change.  My machine isn't very old and still has the rocker.
Mike

"If I had 8 hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend 7 sharpening my axe."  --Abraham Lincoln

Herman Trivilino

Quote from: Rob on May 04, 2013, 08:57:16 PM
Like I said....they now have NVR's (no volt release switch). This is a common feature on "dangerous" machine tools such that they cant be accidentally left on n the event of being unplugged with a mechanical switch left in the on position.  The switch auto switches to off in the event it gets no electrical current.  Thats why I think his problem is electrical not mechanical.  Have you checked the wiring in the plug?

If that tests OK (and by the way blown fuses in the plug are the most common electrical fault), then its off to the dealer or as the boys say, you'll void the warranty......thats 7 years bad luck!!

What you say about the switch makes sense, but I don't understand the part about the fuse in the plug.  Is this fuse in the male part of the plug, or is this something you have in the female part of the plug on your side of the pond?

Herman Trivilino

Quote from: Jgweaver on May 04, 2013, 09:31:27 PM
Apparently they do not run these before they are shipped.

Apparently not, but you kinda left us hangin' there.  Were you able to fix it?

Herman Trivilino

Quote from: KSMike on May 04, 2013, 09:35:44 PM
That must be a very recent change.  My machine isn't very old and still has the rocker.

Is your serial number smaller than 514 458?