News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

SVX-150 Scissors & SVM-45 Jig improvement request

Started by grepper, March 27, 2013, 12:26:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grepper

Just in case Tormek is here...

Recently, when sharpening pinking shears, I had difficulty mounting the shears because the jaws don't open wide enough.   

Same with the SVM-45 Knife Jig.

To work around the puny jaw issue, many times I've had to clamp the jigs somewhere other than the middle of the blade.  When sharpening, getting to the end of the off center  blade causes the jig to fall off one end or the other of the US-105 Universal Support bar.  It would be nice if the top bar was longer and also continued in both directions from the two bars that connect to the machine.

Anyone try sharpening shears with the I/H jig?

Herman Trivilino

Mark, I haven't tried sharpening scissor with homemade knife rest jig.  It would pose a couple of challenges.  It would be harder to keep the bevel angle constant.  With the SVX-150 you have two surfaces moving relative to each other, with the HK-50 you'd have a lot less surface area.  And you'd have a lot less to hold on to.

I've never run into the problem you're describing.  As long as the scissors will open to more than 90o I'm able to clamp them up in the jig and go. 
Origin: Big Bang

grepper

Hi Herman, I've run into several large shears and tin snips where the blades are so thick that they won't fit into the jigs.  Generally if they just opened 3mm – 5mm more it would solve the problem.

Yes.  There would not be much to grip with scissors without a jig, and you wouldn't want them to pitch forward.  It would be interesting to try it though.  Maybe if you were careful...

Herman Trivilino

Mark, I'll give it a try just for the heck of it.

Rob

Oh no Herman.....dont do it......by the time I get back from Mexico...it'll be the Sciss/Herm/Io/HK/Industrial tractor plough blades/jig and I'll have 800 posts to catch up on :-)
Best.    Rob.

grepper

Cool Herman.  I'll be interested in what you find out.  Thanks!

Elden

That will just give you something to do, Rob, since you don't have anything else to do! ;D
Actually, it shouldn't be any worse than reading all the old threads. I finally got through all of them in all of the boards, :P
Have a great trip!
Elden

Rob

Thanks Mate.....think snorkelling with the kids will be high on the agenda...maybe a sneak preview on the hotel wifi every now and then :-)
Best.    Rob.

Rob

few more droolers for while Im gone....did these yesterday :-)
Best.    Rob.

Herman Trivilino

Mark, I hadn't thought of sharpening tin snips.  I think I've got some really old and really cheap ones around the shop somewhere ... unless I threw them away.

Rob

Last one..this is ancient oak from an old log that had been in a farmers field forever (I recently acquired it).  Its beautuful iron like heartwood, goodness knows how old

Best.    Rob.

Elden

Elden

Rob

Best.    Rob.

grepper

Herman,  Have edge... will sharpen. :)

I've taken a few pairs of old rusted snips, cleaned them up on the grinder wire brush, sharpened and lubed them.  Now they are as good or better than new.  These were the old kiind, just two pieces of metal with the giant finger holes and thick, wide blades.

The cool thing is that they work very well, and are build to last several lifetimes if cared for.

They were so dull, rusted and loose they were doomed to a slow decline of returning to the earth as iron oxide, never to be used again.  You know, to bad to use, but too good to throw away. 

Now they are just great, old, well performing tools. How cool is that?  I really respect and appreciate these old tools.

Rob

I feel the same way about old tools in general.  I believe the old adage they dont make em like they used to is usually about right.  (Possible exception with Mr Lie Nielsen of course).

My experience is that the gauge of the metals are usually thicker, built to last.  There was much less emphasis on squeezing every last molecule of profit out of the enterprise so generous amounts of tool steel were used.  Everyone benefited (except maybe the shareholders).

A bit of tlc just brings em right back into service and they become like old friends.....never let you down.....few battlescars but just great.
Best.    Rob.