News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Does Tormek take hardware suggestions?

Started by tedn1, February 13, 2013, 04:33:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tedn1

Hello,

Does Tormek ever take hardware upgrade suggestions? I would really like them to produce a stone that could be used for sharpening in-cannel gouges. That would make my life a LOT easier. I think they could produce it similar to the honing wheel, just with a sharpening stone:

http://www.woodworkingshop.com/product/tm11111/?inMed=GSTORE&gclid=COH0gKOssrUCFUfNOgodtkYAFg

Is there someone I could forward this hardware request to? It's probably a pipe dream, I know. But it would be very useful for my work.

Thanks,
Ted

jeffs55

I am not affiliated with Tormek or anyone else in any way but I can answer that easily. If they were to get about a thousand requests for the same thing, they would look into it. One request/suggestion just will not get it. There is a sound business reason behind that too, so you can't really blame them. They need a lot of movement to justify that kind of plunge. If you were to submit this I am sure you would recieve a nice letter thanking you for your suggestion and they would keep it in mind. Good luck to you and yours.
You can use less of more but you cannot make more of less.

Rob

What you're referring to is called a "business case" in other words feedback from a market that helps quantify the likely profitability of a given investment strategy

There may be another good reason why its worth submitting an improvement request though. A lot of manufacturers have a formal process through which they gather, categorise and document improvement requests. It's one of the intelligence channels that feeds their R&D inputs. Requests are grouped, ranked and analysed for return on investment.  If the numbers stack up, they have a chance of being implemented in a future upgrade.

So whilst apparently isolated, your request is still probably worth submitting since it may be the one that tips the balance in favour of Tormek doing it

This is conjecture based on my knowledge and understanding of certain manufacturer market intelligence management approach. What I don't know is whether or not Tormek employ such a system.

Jeff Farris on the other hand has very direct experience of Tormek's marketing strategy. He may be in a position of knowledge to comment on how their R&D process is managed
Best.    Rob.

Ken S

A similar post appeared a couple years ago.  The poster wished that Tormek would make an 8000 grit wheel.  Nice idea, however, I'm sure the cost would have been prohibitive, probably close to five hundred dollars.  How much of a market would there be at this price?  And smaller demand=even higher cost.  not a good scenario for any manufacturer.

In cannel gouge would e a particularly challenging environment.  Each radius would require a different wheel, unless each wheel had several "humps" each hump having its own radius.  You could reshape the wheel with a radius, but that would only handle one size, unless you had several wheels or reshaped often.

I would look into dowels and diamond paste.

Ken

Rob

Quote from: tedn1 on February 13, 2013, 04:33:32 AM
Hello,

Does Tormek ever take hardware upgrade suggestions? I would really like them to produce a stone that could be used for sharpening in-cannel gouges. That would make my life a LOT easier. I think they could produce it similar to the honing wheel, just with a sharpening stone:

http://www.woodworkingshop.com/product/tm11111/?inMed=GSTORE&gclid=COH0gKOssrUCFUfNOgodtkYAFg

Is there someone I could forward this hardware request to? It's probably a pipe dream, I know. But it would be very useful for my work.

Thanks,
Ted

Hi Ted

I still believe there may be some hope for your pipe dream.  Below is the quote from the inside cover of the latest handbook from Tormek.

I would like to thank Tormek users around the world for their tips and advice in the preparation of this handbook. The close contact with the many skilled craftsmen at exhibitions and by correspondence has been most inspiring and beneficial in the development of our water cooled grinding and sharpening system.
Torgny Jansson

So maybe just a straight forward letter is worth a try ?  My problem is I've no idea what the latent demand for such a solution is.  Maybe there is a viable market, maybe not?
Best.    Rob.

Rob

Having said that....it's all theory. Ken presents a rational technical barrier to entry. In other words it may be just too difficult a manufacturing process even if the solution does have a large market.

I guess my point is, submit the request anyway because its impossible to know all the whys and wherefores that govern the decision making behind Tormeks R&D strategy

Rob
Best.    Rob.

Herman Trivilino

Origin: Big Bang

Rob

Exactly, nothing ventured, nothing gained etc
Best.    Rob.

Ken S

Ted,

Here is a link to a new product at Lee Valley.  I think these wooden pieces used in conjunction with diamond paste or abrasive would do the trick for you.  (I would use the Tormek to grind back any deep nicks first.)

http://www.leevalley.com/US/Wood/page.aspx?p=69439&cat=1,43072

I know from personal experience that Tormek in Sweden does monitor this forum.  I received a nice email from one of the factory people after I had grumbled about the lack of good video training material  on some of the newer products.  (This was just before Al Holtham's videos were put on the side.)  I still think there is not an overabundance of good training material.  More training material in conjunction with more time at the grinder would be a great learning help.

I would suggest (to the whole forum) that you send your suggestions to Tormek.  After all, as tormek owners, who will probably send more revenue their way for accessories, we are the target market.  As such, I believe we should receive prompt and polite replies, even if Tormek decides an idea is impractical or of too limited market.

Go for it!

Ken

Rob

Best.    Rob.