News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Dry grinding

Started by spleary, January 28, 2013, 11:38:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spleary

Is dry grinding in any way acceptable on a Tormek?

Mike Fairleigh

Not sure why anyone would choose to, but I can tell you that if the wheel is graded fine, it will heat a blade in no time flat if dry.  If you grade it coarse first, it might be a little more forgiving.
Mike

"If I had 8 hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend 7 sharpening my axe."  --Abraham Lincoln

Rob

Quote from: spleary on January 28, 2013, 11:38:41 PM
Is dry grinding in any way acceptable on a Tormek?

My understanding of the purpose of water bathing the rotating stone is two fold. First, it cools the steel of the tool. Second, it carries away particles of swarf which would otherwise contaminate the stone reducing its grinding efficiency.

If the steel is allowed to overheat, its temper will be drawn which softens the metal preventing it from holding its keen edge. You can see this happening on tricky jobs.....the bit of the tool in contact with the work turns a bluey shade.  It occasionally happens to thin parting tools in a deep groove of a turning hardwood blank.

So I have to ask.....why would you want to?
Best.    Rob.

Rob

And welcome to the forum by the way   8)
Best.    Rob.

Jeff Farris

It would be completely ineffective. The stone is designed to be fully saturated and have its surface washed. If it isn't, it will glaze quickly.

But, I have to ask, why would you want to use it dry?
Jeff Farris

Ken S

We should ask whoever ended up with the Tormek which was stolen from my house.  That person has a Tormek with no water trough.  While I like it as a wet grinder, I think it's overpriced and underperforming as a dry grinder.  :(

Actually, it's not a bad question.  We all have to learn. Welcome to the forum and keep asking questions.

Ken