News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

How to sharpen bowl gouge as this link

Started by peterjones, January 22, 2013, 06:05:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peterjones

Hi,

Could anyone please give me some guidance as to how to achieve the shape as per the second gouge on this link
http://tormek.com/international/en/user-categories/woodturning/

It is the middle gougle on the Tormek Sharpening Woodturning Tools link.

Been given some advice but have failed.

Any help gratefully received

Rob

Hi Peter

It doesn't mention in your post so I therefore have to assume the obvious which is that you own a Tormek?

If so and you're a turner does it also follow you own both the articulated gouge jig (SVD-185) and also the TTS-100 turning tool setter?

If yes to all above then firstly you need to consult the little chart that comes with your kit and make a judgement of the angle on the bevel of the side grind fingernail gouge you describe you want from the link you enclosed. Just eyeing it I would say its a 45degree bevel but that's a bit subjective. For the sake of argument lets assume the bevel is 45degrees.  Next you set the jig setting.  Next you need to mount the gouge in the jig with a 65mm protrusion (TTS-100 makes this easy) and then set the universal support using the TTS-100 guided by hole A ie the one furthest away.  Essentially there are three variables to setting the geometries necessary to control the angles of the grind.

Now the hard part. Because the grind you want is a long side gound fingernail grind you have to focus the grinding on the outer edges first.  Hey you know what, you need to watch Jeff Farris' video of this, it'll save a lot of typing.   His DVD is supplied with the turners kit for the Tormek. If you don't have it I think there are excerpts on you tube

Bottom line, grind the sides first till they're roughly the swept backness you desire then focus on getting the centre to join up with the wings with a single facet bevel. And be warned, when you get the bevel rubbing and its sharp, it can take a bucket of wood off in one pass if you're not careful :-)

Sounds complicated reading it back but it really isn't, Jeff's video explains it much better

Best.    Rob.