News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

I figured out how to make my universal tool rest longer

Started by Rhino, September 06, 2012, 11:55:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhino

Problem is that with some knives which are already quite thick (distance from the sharp edge to the blunt edge), the universal tool rest is not long enough to set the proper angle.  For example, a big cleaver would have that problem.

So I was thinking of a way to make the universal tool rest longer.

I just got my SVD-110 - the flat tool rest.

If I mount the Torlock with the rest flipped all the way up, it raises the universal tool rest maybe 3 inches.  If that is not wide enough for you, attach a cheap wood ruler with 2 c-clamps.  Now, you have a tool rest (the ruler) that is 3 inches above the universal tool rest. You have effectively made the tool rest 3 inches taller for almost no money - assuming you own the SVD-110 already.

Ken S

Herman Trivilino

Didn't someone fabricate a longer tool rest a while back?  He even offered to sell them at cost.
Origin: Big Bang

Rhino

Yes.  I remember somebody did offer to sell, at cost, a longer universal rest.  I forgot who though.  Each solution (an actual longer support or my method) has its merits.  The advantages to my method is that it is readily available (SVD-110, two c-claims, and a piece of wood of any height or width) and can be as tall or as long as you want.  It is not a turnkey solution, you have to rig it up.  On the other hand, it is

-----------------------------------------------------

I have a followup question.  I am thinking of making my own jig, not only for the Tormek, but for other things too.  I really like the universal support.  Does anyone know the difference between

(1) the universal support that comes with the BGM-100 Bench Grinder Mount Kit, and

(2) the US-105 replacement universal support.

It seems the US-105 is a direct replacement for the T7.  The universal support that comes with the BGM-100 looks smaller and shorter.  Maybe it won't fit onto a T7 by itself.  Am I right?

-------------------------------

Can I buy mounting brackets for the US-105?  I suppose I have to buy that from the spare parts department from Tormek.

Ken S

Rhino,

Robincbailey posted the idea for the larger universal support bar and found a local machine shop who would make them. Here is a link to the post:

http://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=1027.msg2642#msg2642

He offered them to the forum, however, received only one request (from me).

I thought Robin had a good idea and followed through well with it.  I was disappointed that no other forum members  supported him. 

I bought a spare US-105.  Ernie Conover did a DVD on using the Tormek which showed the second US-105 mounted on his Tormek.  (one in vertical position for grinding; the other in horizontal for stropping with the leather wheel)  I have since concluded that handheld stropping is more practical. 

I also bought a spare mount for the US-105.  Mine was an older model which had only one locking screw.  In hindsight, I wish I had bought the newer model with two locking screws.

Both your idea and Robin's have good points.  There is room in the Tormek universe for both.  I would use your idea if I had occasional work.  If I was regularly sharpening cleavers professionally, I would welcome Robin's jig.

Ionut and I posted design suggestions for  jigs for small knives.  Ionut made up a prototype and posted the photographs.  Among my spare Tormek parts is a second SVD-110.  My plan is to cut it in half.  In half size it would allow small knife blades to be sharpened from either side of the wheel.  Tormek makes no such jig.

We have some clever and well trained people on this forum.  The Tormek has potential beyond the jigs the company presently manufactures.  Since I purchased my first Tormek, the company has added two new grinding wheels; a fine drill bit jig; and upgraded the water trough and shaft.  This is commendable, and I hope it will continue.  I hope a variable camber plane blade jig is in the pipeline.

As Tormek users, we can be innovative as well.  We need more innovative people like Ionut and you, Rhino, on the forum.

Keep up the good work and keep the ideas coming.

Ken

Herman Trivilino

Any feedback on that longer universal support?  I didn't get one because I have no use for it.  I don't own a cleaver and if I want to shaprpen something large like a machetti or an axe I either freehand it or set it on the universal support without a jig.

Speaking of prior innovations, my universal support didn't have a threaded rod.  When I saw that Tormek had made that innovation I went to the hardware store and purchased a 12 mm die and nut.  I threaded the shaft with the die and use the nut for the fine adjustment.

Mike Fairleigh

I don't see any pictures of Robin's solution now, but I would probably have bought one if I'd been a Tormek owner at the time.  A long support would be a nice accessory from Tormek.
Mike

"If I had 8 hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend 7 sharpening my axe."  --Abraham Lincoln

Ken S

Clever, Herman.  I wouldn't have thought of just using a thread die on the support rod and buying a nut. 

Ken

Rhino

Thank you for all the support and encouragement.  I have been doing more thinking and came up with a five-dollar solution. 

For a big cleaver, just buy a clamp from the hardware store.  Any clamp will do but the screwed on one might hold on tighter for you.  Clamp it on the blade (on the dull side, of course).  The clamp is now your stop on the universal support.  For example, you can buy one or more small C-clamp.  That's it.  Put the cleaver blade direct on the universal rest and grind away.

You don't need a long support rod.  You don't need a Torlock tool rest.  Just one small C-claim and you are set. 

You don't need an axe jig.  Just use a small C-clamp.

I just saved you a lot of money and replaced the axe jig and the long universal support arm with a five dollar c-clamp.  :)

Herman Trivilino

You can also drill a hole through the tool and insert a bolt.  This has the advantage over a c-clamp in that you don't have to remove it when you flip the tool over to grind the other side of the bevel.

Lots of ways to rig up a jig.

Mike Fairleigh

Mike

"If I had 8 hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend 7 sharpening my axe."  --Abraham Lincoln

Rhino

After drilling my cleaver, I would have an excuse to get the drill sharpening jig.  :)

Ken S

Rhino, I'm glad you finally realized you need a drill sharpening jig to sharpen your cleaver.  Maybe I'll tune up my faithful cleaver.  I use it for both red and green cabbage.  Would you recommend two different holes, and what sizes? :)

Ken

Herman Trivilino

I said "tool".  I wasn't referring to something you'd use to chop chicken in the kitchen.  I was thinking more like a lawn mower blade or a roofing hatchet.