News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Universal Support not tall enough?

Started by robincbailey, June 08, 2010, 03:34:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

robincbailey

I reckon you would have to add three or four inches until stability becomes an issue, but I don't need anywhere near that.
And yes, a small clip on each side would stop any stability issues, if there were any.
Thanks for the addresses above.

robincbailey

Okay... I love the T7 because of the quality of build.

I have checked the support at it's lowest level with the scissor jig, and there is still a good 6" of clearance underneath for a longer support.

What I propose is, that I will approach a metal frabrication company, and ask how much it would cost to produce an EXACT repilica in stainless steel but 3" taller. Exact same tolerances as original, as I am a bit of a prefectionist!
if anyone out there wants one, please email me at robin@sharpknives.co.uk and I will get a price. Obviously the more of us that club together, the cheaper the price will be. I will then put them for sale on my web site ( www.sharpknives.co.uk )for you to order and pay for via PayPal, and then I will ship one out to you wherever you are in the world.
Please put the email Subject as 'Universal tool support' and tell me how many you want.
I will then save all emails coming in, until there is enough of us to get this for a decent price and then let you all know.

Herman Trivilino

Why stainless?  Is the original stainless?  Mine is not stainless, but mine is also very old.  It didn't even have the threaded shaft that's now standard. 
Origin: Big Bang

robincbailey

The T7 is stainless, so I propose that the one's I get made will be the same as the T7 in stainless with threaded bars for the micro adjustment.

robincbailey

Well I have had one made up as a trial with a local manufacturer and it works a treat. The threaded part is not the same as the original, so they supplied a nut that does the same job, and for cleavers this is fine. The threaded bar may not be stainless steel, I am unsure.
I also asked that they make the top bar longer by 3" as I often run out of room when doing knives longer that 12".

All in all this is a vast improvement.

If anyone wants one then I can supply at £30 plus postage to wherever you are. I will only charge the exact postal charge rate, plus the £30.

Drop me an email via my web site 'Contact Us' page at www.sharpknives.co.uk. I can send you a photo of the two side by side if required. I don't seem able to insert an image for some reason?

I will only be able to get some made up if I have more than 10 people interested, or 1 person wanting 10 units. When, or if that happens then I will put them for sale via my online shop and let interested parties know via email.

Herman Trivilino

Quote from: robincbailey on September 22, 2010, 07:14:35 PM
The threaded bar may not be stainless steel, I am unsure.

Hold a magnet to it and see if there's an attraction.
Origin: Big Bang

robincbailey

Well I have only had one request so far.
This new support is all stainless steel and I can now sharpen any knife or cleaver with ease. The machine is not unstable with the extra long and wide support, and I feel so much more professional being able to just swap over the suppport for the larger one when required.
No more messing about holding a cleaver roughly at the correct position, I can now offer an exact angle of the customers choice just as I can with any other knife.
If you want me to supply one then go onto my web site and email me. www.sharpknives.co.uk

Ken S

Robin,

I'm glad the extended support bar has worked for you.  I checked out your website.  Well done.  It looks very professional, yet friendly.  Offering the mobile service seems very smart.  I'm sure a lot of businesses appreciate the convenience.

Best wishes for you and your business.

Ken

robincbailey

Many thanks for your comments Ken. Constructive criticism or comments are always welcomed.

Ken S

You are more than welcome, Robin.  I'm glad you followed through on your project.

Ken

Ken S

Robin Bailey identified a missing design parameter on this forum.  The standard universal support bar and knife jigs will not handle cleavers.  I enjoy using my cleaver a lot.  It works very well with vegetables like cabbage.

I could limp by with continuing with my Norton stones.  However, Robin has provided a better alternative.  I advised him I wish to order one of the special support bars he has designed.  So far, only one other forum member has indicated a desire to purchase one.

I believe Robin's new bar will be a useful part of a knife sharpener's kit.  His price is very reasonable.  I hope members of the forum will will support him in this endeavor  and order the special support bars from him.

Thanks, Robin, for providing a useful service.

Ken

robincbailey

Well its now over two years since I had the extended version made, and my machine has NEVER toppled over and I have now sharpened hundreds of chinese cleavers. This is also very good for knives 14 inch and longer.

Tormek - you are missing a trick here, and this jig is now a 'must have' for my tool box whenever I go out sharpening. I really would not even attempt a cleaver without this extra wide and tall support, as freehanding is just not good enough.

Mike Fairleigh

Robin, are you still making your support available for sale?  I don't see a link anywhere on your site.

Also, do you use the Tormek to sharpen axes?  If so, I'd be interested in how you do it.
Mike

"If I had 8 hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend 7 sharpening my axe."  --Abraham Lincoln

Ken S

Robin, my offer to purchase one of your extended support bars is still good.  J'm glad your design has passed the two year field test.  Good work.

Ken

Black Mamba

I spoke ( via email ) with Robin today. To date, I'm only the second person that's willing to buy one of his longer universal support bars. It's somewhat incredulous that, in a world-wide market place, there aren't 10 people who would greatly benefit from this piece. If we, collectively, can get close to the 10 units required, I'll probably commit to buying the few remaining unsold pieces just to get one for myself. Come on folks.....let's make this deal happen.

Tom