News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Universal Support not tall enough?

Started by robincbailey, June 08, 2010, 03:34:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

This discussion reminds me of my experience with the Unimat (a small combination metal lathe and mill).  Sadly, the Unimat is no longer manufactured.  Over the years a few people have manufactured after market accessories for it.  While the original accessories are generally available on ebay, the useful after market accessories are very hard to locate.

The Tormek jigs of course are readily available new.  The only other after market accessory I have seen for the Tormek was a modified diamond dresser.  I don't believe it is still available.  Robin's long support bar seems like a fine idea.  I hope there are enough orders to manufacture it.  Some of us may regret not doing so when the need for it later arises.

Ken

Rhino

I just made my own extension.  I mounted the flat tool rest (sv-110) to point straight up giving me a few more inches of effective height on my tool rest.  Securely clamp a horizontal support to it to make it as wide as you want.

robincbailey

I'm still willing to get some of these made up.
Why Tormek do not yet provide a taller and wider universal support is a bit of a mystery to me. I'm a professional sharpener using the Tormek every day for several hours each day, so would dispute anyone telling me that it's not safe or stable.

Exact Blade

I have read the entire string.  Glass guys suggestion is the best.  One inch rise of the USA would not be bad for stability.  You should exercise diligence when sharpening at 25 degrees or more on bigger knives, I have had many flip inward on me.  Both hands must be steady. 
A 3.5 inch tall cleaver at 35degres cannot be sharpened using the standard t7 universal support arm,
Exact Blade Inc.

Herman Trivilino

I would not recommend using the SVM-45 Knife Jig with a longer, homemade version of the Universal Support.  It would be much safer, easier, and less expensive to make one of these ...

http://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=1592.msg6634#msg6634
Origin: Big Bang

robincbailey

That other jig is not what is required for quite a few reasons.
I have now been using the extended jig for four years, day in day out and have never, not even once, had a single issue with it. What could be simpler, just extend what is already proven to work well. I'm not after reinventing the wheel, just applying a bit of common sense.

jeffs55

Quote from: Exact Blade on March 11, 2014, 04:52:15 AM
I have read the entire string.  Glass guys suggestion is the best.  One inch rise of the USA would not be bad for stability.  You should exercise diligence when sharpening at 25 degrees or more on bigger knives, I have had many flip inward on me.  Both hands must be steady. 
A 3.5 inch tall cleaver at 35degres cannot be sharpened using the standard t7 universal support arm,
You do know that you can sharpen with the grinding wheel turning away from you, don't you? This will eliminate all possibility of the blade edge coming back toward you. While perhaps not as aggressive as the wheel turning towards you, it is infinitely safer.
You can use less of more but you cannot make more of less.

robincbailey

We are going off subject a bit, however......
I find its too slow the other way. The only reason a knife would jump is that you are not applying enough downwards pressure to hold the knife jig stable on the universal support. This happens more on worn stones as the angle increases and is not that dangerous really, but certainly gives you a bit of a scare. Pay attention and it's not an issue.

Ken S

This debate reminds me of a television program I recently watched about Edison and Tesla.  Both were intelligent, dedicated people.  I would not want to do without either AC or DC electrical power.

I have no doubt that Robin has become expert with his extended support bar, just as Herman has also become expert with the HK 50.

Personally, I would like to use both jigs.  My first two attempts at converting my torlock have been less than successful.  The third should solve my problems.  (Thanks, Jeff Farris, for the solution.)  Constructing one of Herman's jigs is also quite viable for me.

As I posted a long time ago: Robin, please include me on your customer list for a tall support bar.

When we have a choice between two very good ideas, I prefer to choose "both".

Ken

robincbailey

I now have the Extended Universal Support Bars in stock and for sale.
You can purchase them via my website
http://www.sharpknives.co.uk/onlineshop/prod_4360851-Extended-Universal-Support-Bar.html

Ken S

Hi, Robin!

It's nice to have you back again. I sent in my inquiry for shipping your universal support "across the pond". My favorite Chinese cleaver is in need of sharpening; I am looking forward to your new tool.

Ken

Ken S

If we use the link Robin Bailey has posted, we can get to his facebook site. Robin has posted a nice photo of his sharpening shop. Two Tormeks in the center, one with an SG-250 and one with an SB-250. Nice setup!

Ken

robincbailey

Thanks Ken, although it's handy for sharpening different steels its primarily because I run a training school for professional sharpeners. www.sharpening-service.co.uk

robincbailey

Ken, how are you getting on with the taller universal support bar

Ken S

Nice to hear from you, Robin. Your taller universal extension bar is "just the ticket" for sharpening my favorite Chinese cleaver. My Chinese cleaver is designed primarily for slicing vegetables and has a very acute bevel angle. I used Dutchman's grinding tables (posted on the forun) and made a simple cardboard kenjig for the set up. Your bar allowed me to use the Tormek knife jig for the operation. It was an easy sharpen with Tormek quality bevels.

My crazy idea of using your tall extension bar from the opposite direction in the horizontal sleeves is only crazy when using the traditional wet grinding. (It cascades water all over!) When used dry with a CBN wheel to reshape a turning gouge, it lets me combine the natural turning feel of the horizontal position with the faster cutting action of grinding into the wheel. Reshaping time is noticeably reduced. You can hear and feel the difference in the grinding. This benefit is increased when one has the Tormek sitting on a too tall workbench.

I think an 80 grit CBN wheel and one of your extended support bars on the Tormek make an ideal combination for reshaping. Finish off with either the extended or regular extension bar in the horizontal sleeves from the other side with the SG or SB and leather honing wheel, and you are good to go. As the support bar is set by using the holes in the TTS-100, in this case, the microadjust is not needed.

For a busy knife sharpener, I believe, especially when used with the kenjig, your extended support bar could serve as either the primary or auxilliary support bar. It would save the day when a customer brought a Chinese cleaver to be sharpened.

I also believe that as more Tormekers start using CBN wheels to complement their regular wheels when reshaping turning tools, they will want one of your extended support bars.

My congratulations on seeing a goid idea through development to marketing! No regrets on my purchase.

Keep up the good work.

Ken