News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Sharpening Pinking Shears w/SV150

Started by bill pottorf, May 21, 2011, 11:20:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bill pottorf

I have been attempting to use the SV150 scissor jig to sharpen some pinking shears my wife has w/o success. The first pair were Weiss brand and I was able to use the jig and sliding rest to sharpen only one of the blades. The other would not mount such that the jig would successfully slide. The second pair were of the Fiskar type and neither blade would successfully slide for sharpening. I finally sharpened them on a diamond slow speed grinding wheel by free hand methods - not the ultimate way. I have the older 2000 tormek which has been rebuilt. Is there a way to sharpen these on the Tormek? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Bill Pottorf

Jeff Farris

Bill,
I'm not sure what you mean by "the blade wouldn't slide". Pinking shears have a very flat bevel angle -- usually in the 75 to 80 degree range. Paint the bevel a waterproof marker, then adjust the support plate so that turning the grindstone removes the marker from the entire width of the bevel.

If you're running into obstruction from the shear, take them apart at the joint and/or change the position of the tool in the blade clamp.

Never do anything to the inside, mating surfaces.
Jeff Farris

bill pottorf

Hi Jeff,

I am only  sharpening the flat across the teeth, not the inside surfaces. The problem was that the shear handles were hitting the sliding rest, not allowing the full length of the blade to be sharpened. I tried to disassemble the Weiss shears but did not have the proper tool to get them apart. The Fiskar ones have the same problem.

Jeff, I figured out how to do it. I was using the horizontal bar mount and switched to the vertical bar which allowed me to sharpen w/o any problems. Sorry for being dense.

Bill

Jeff Farris

On the contrary, I'm sorry I didn't think about the horizontal position being the problem. Scissors and shears should always be done in the vertical, so that the blade rotation can push the blade clamp into the support plate.
Jeff Farris