News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Problem with trueing tool

Started by Di, May 16, 2011, 07:35:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Di

Hi, I have recently purchased the Tormek trueing tool to grind flat the grindstone on my Tormek 4000. I carefully followed the instructions in the handbook and found that the when I began trueing the stone there was considerable vibratation which caused gauges in my stone. I've read previous posts which suggest to increase the truing speed, but this did not help. I also tried trueing from left to right and right to left and still experienced the same problem. Any other suggestions??

mGuitars

When I had that problem, I found I was taking too deep of a cut. 

GIPPER

Di, as a non-expert, my thoughts are this.  Your grindstone probably has many low spots (valleys) and high spots (ridges) in it from poor grinding methods used previously.  Start your "truing process" by finding the ridges and marking those point/s with a black marker pen.  Set your truing tool to barely contact the highest ridge then slowly grid this point down until you reach the next ridge point.  Continue in this method until you have arrived at the valleys.  Continue on to the valleys until you have a perfectly smooth surface across the width of the grindstone.  Going slow and having patience will have you up and running after a while.  Gipper

Di

Thanks heaps for the tips. I'll give it a go.  :)

Di

I recently gave my trueing tool another go, being very careful not to cut too deep and it worked fine. Thanks so much for the support and good advice. :)