News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

A Tormek New Year

Started by Ken S, January 02, 2011, 06:13:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

Last year I did some "coarse stone grinding" on some areas of my life.  I went essentially plant based (vegan) in my diet.  The occasional beer or wine became very occasional.  (No, I still don't exercise; there is room to grow.)

This new year, I will continue with the fine stone refining the edges.

Last year I added the new water trough and EZY lock shaft to keep current. As January looks both forward and backward, with Ionut's help, I am also purchasing one of the older square edge jigs for large mortise chisels.

I hope this will be a happy, prosperous, and productive new year for the forum members.

Ken

ps  A good New Year addition to your sharpening libraries is Ron Hock's excellent book.

glh17

I recently added the TallowTree Truing Advancer and plan to upgrade my SuperGrind 2000 with the newer straight edge guide, EZ Lock Shaft, and water trough.  I'm also thinking  :-\ of another Universal Tool Guide so that I can have one in the vertical position for the stone and the horizontal position for the strop.  I'm not sure about the latter since I do just about all my honing freehand. 

Ken S

I had the same thought and purchased the universal universal support bar. My plan is to use the two bars with the TTS 100 (turning tool) setting gage.  By varying only the tool protrusion setup would be very consistent and repeatable.

Ken

ionut

Hi Guys,

I remember I played with that 2 universal supports as well but I quickly abandoned it, the main reason was that even a slight difference between them will open the door for a non square edges if one support is used for truing and the other one for sharpening. It is a good idea to have one fixed for sharpening and have a jig for setting the projection of the tool but instead of keeping the universal support all the time in the same position I think it would be easier to make a small wooden spacer that would allow always to get the support at the same distance from the stone which combined with a simple jig to set the projection of the tool for specific angles would get always consistent results. But these are only theoretical in my case because so far I didn't take the time to make these helping things, I have a range of angles for sharpening and sometimes I experiment with some tools and a number of stones with different diameters so I decided to stick with the marking method or the angle master, it is just simpler for me.

Ionut

Ken S

"Man is the only animal with the One True Religion, all seven of them"

Mark Twain