News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Thread stripped

Started by GoGuppy, September 22, 2008, 01:58:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GoGuppy

After using the Long Knife Jig (SVM-100) on a couple of knives successfully, I attemtepted to use the SVM-45 regular Knife Jig for smaller paring knives for the first time.  After reading the instructions, I set the Adjustable Stop (item 2 in the manual sketch) to zero and tightened the screw to stop the jig spindle from turning.  Even with a gentle touch (I'm a mechanical engineer and understand the properties of materials) I found that I had stripped the thread in the adjustable stop.... :'(.
I have contacted my supplier and he advised that there should be no problem in getting a replacement stop, but my question is why does Tormek not put a metallic threaded insert in the adjustable stop to make it last? ??? ???

Jeff Farris

The stop should be engaged in either the 3 o'clock or 9 o'clock position, where the shaft has a flat side.  In those positions, the stop needs hardly any pressure against it whatsoever, since the flat shape prevents rotation.  I have used the same knife jig in my demonstration kit for about 5 years without stripping the threads.
Jeff Farris