News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

New angle jig KS-123

Started by John Hancock Sr, May 20, 2024, 09:39:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

I'm curious, not being critical.  If I was able to set a knife bevel angle to within 0.1°, why would I waste all that effort by actually using and dulling the knife? I would certainly not waste all of that effort on anything but a very expensive knife.

Proper viewing angle (straight on) is essential to minimize "eyeballing" with any measuring tool with a scale, not just the KS-123.

Beyond a certain level of precision in angle setting, we switch from good workmanship to satisfying our egos. I agree with Drillon. My vegetables on the cutting board do not care if the bevel angles are 14, 15, or 16°, as long as the knife is sharp.

In my opinion, the KJ-123 is a giant step ahead of the Anglemaster for setting knife bevel angles. It is designed to be a working tool, something it does very well. I do not expect any $50 tool to be laboratory quality.

Ken

cbwx34

Quote from: v6turbo on June 24, 2024, 05:06:31 PM...
with my other sharpener i set the angle exactly to within 0.1 degree

I've said it before, but I doubt anyone is setting the angle to within 0.1 degree on any device... nor is it necessary.  There's just too many factors involved, starting with the angle gauge itself... most aren't even rated to that level.  You can also get greater changes by how much pressure you use, how much metal is removed, "slop" in the machine, etc.  If one is that concerned to that level, the KS-123 probably isn't the route I'd take to do it.

The work done that said that 0.X degrees was needed, for example, to debur a knife, was, for lack of a better term, a work of fiction.

Quote from: Ken S on June 24, 2024, 11:01:25 PM...
the KJ-123 is a giant step ahead of the Anglemaster for setting knife bevel angles.

Exactly.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

3D Anvil

I do like to be able to set the angle to within about half a degree.  Why?  Because then I know exactly how to set my WS with blade grinder attachment to deburr the blade after sharpening, and at least as importantly, how to set it to strop the knife in between sharpenings. 

I'll also amend my earlier statement about the accuracy of the KS-123.  I think that, if you're *really* careful about setting it up, you can get accuracy better than +/- 0.5°.  Being really careful in this case means getting down to the level of the gauge to check the angle, and then rechecking it after tightening down the USB, and then adjusting as necessary.  I'm finding that the angle shifts half a degree or so after tightening, even when I try to apply pressure to the USB when measuring.

Brock O Lee

Quote from: 3D Anvil on June 25, 2024, 12:13:47 AMI'm finding that the angle shifts half a degree or so after tightening, even when I try to apply pressure to the USB when measuring.

I noticed the same thing, due to the USB slop as mentioned. +-0.3 deg accuracy is probably a realistic expectation in my opinion. This is perfectly acceptable for my purposes, for honing ever so slightly steeper than the bevel at a fixed angle.

The KS-123 is accurate enough to detect the need to re-adjust the USB when moving between the composite and leather honing wheels. They only differ a few mm's in diameter. Not that I necessarily use that progression, but I noticed it while playing around earlier this week.
Hans

tgbto

Quote from: cbwx34 on June 24, 2024, 11:22:18 PM
Quote from: Ken S on June 24, 2024, 11:01:25 PM...
the KJ-123 is a giant step ahead of the Anglemaster for setting knife bevel angles.

Exactly.

Yup, and at a very good price point, I must say. Seeing how much they bill for a rubber mat, I was a bit worried to KS-123 would be in the USD 100+ range. Far from it

Quote from: 3D Anvil on June 25, 2024, 12:13:47 AMI do like to be able to set the angle to within about half a degree.  Why?  Because then I know exactly how to set my WS with blade grinder attachment to deburr the blade after sharpening, and at least as importantly, how to set it to strop the knife in between sharpenings. 

Given the precision of the WSKTS blade grinding attachement angle setting, I'm not sure one can get the .5° precision you mention. The slackness of the belt even on the tightest position is enough to change the angle by more than this. So if you set it to the same angle as the WS, you're probably at a higher angle where the belt meets the APEX. Which is fine for deburring and stropping.