News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

T-2000 repair

Started by Paullupien, June 22, 2024, 12:48:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paullupien

Hello, new to the forum. I have a 21 year old Tormek SuperGring 2000. It has served me well for the past 21 years. Recently when I turn it on I hear a hum and there's no movement. If I spin the wheel it will start turning but slows down with pressure again the wheel. Is this the motor?

cbwx34

Quote from: Paullupien on June 22, 2024, 12:48:59 PMHello, new to the forum. I have a 21 year old Tormek SuperGring 2000. It has served me well for the past 21 years. Recently when I turn it on I hear a hum and there's no movement. If I spin the wheel it will start turning but slows down with pressure again the wheel. Is this the motor?

Check these forum threads...

https://forum.tormek.com/index.php/topic,1824

https://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=1759
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Ken S

Welcome to the forum, Paul.

Your problem is probably the starting capcitor rather than the motor itself. Send an email to Tormek support (support@tormek.se). Mats, the head of support, has a wealth of experience. He has worked at Tormek since the 1980s. I'm sure he can get you up and running.

I would guess the slowing down part of your problem is correctable by roughing up your rubber drive wheel. Mention this in your email to support.

Be sure to register your T2000 on tormek.com. The warranty period is over; however, registering allows you to access and download the latest edition of the handbook. I have it on my ipad and refer to it frequently. In case you are wondering, part of the Tormek philosophy is "no Tormek left behind". Tormek still carries parts for your T2000 and all of the present jigs will work with your T2000.

Please keep us posted.

Ken

John Hancock Sr

Quote from: Ken S on June 22, 2024, 03:26:13 PMYour problem is probably the starting capacitor

I agree with Ken. These things are only a few $$ and pretty easy to get off eBay. The value for the Tormek appears to be 100uF and 240V volt.  They are pretty easy to replace. 

Ken S

Good thought, John; however, I would check with support first.

Ken