News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Serrated knife

Started by dadinthegarageww, March 02, 2022, 04:34:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dadinthegarageww

So what's the verdict? Can you sharpen a serrated knife with the t8?

I saw a thread from 2018 on here,  that video on YouTube seems very complicated.  There's got to be a simpler way..

tgbto

You could, freehand and on the (previously rounded) shoulder of the wheel, then deburring on the leather disc.

IMO it defeats the purpose of the tormek which is sharpening at a controlled angle, but if that's "all" you have it will do.

Ken S

I have tried several methods. The best way I have found is using a wooden dowel wrapped with either adhesive fine grit wet and dry abrasive paper or regular abrasive paper taped to the dowel. Take a few strokes in each of the scallops. This may seem time consuming and labor intensive; however, it goes surprisingly quickly. It also goes a nicer job than a tapered diamond file at considerably lower cost.

Ken

cbwx34

Jeff Farris had a good description of how to do them on the Tormek...

Quote from: Jeff Farris on August 19, 2008, 04:18:43 AM
Bernie,

Most serrated knives are flat on one side and the bevel and the profile are cut in the other side.  Smooth your grindstone carefully with the stone grader.  Then, working with the wheel turning away from the edge, hold the blade as flat as possible on the stone with light pressure and work the length of the blade.  The goal is to hone away enough of the flat side to create a new edge with the serrated profile.  After "lapping" the back of the blade, move the leather strop and polish the back.  Now give the corner of the leather honing wheel an extra little charge of compound right at the edge.  Hold the blade across the corner of the strop so that it fits into the concave surfaces of the serrations.  Move the blade slowly across the corner, letting it get in and out of each curve in the profile.

... or if you do a lot, SteveB demos using the Sharpmaker to do it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=059JiOcum84

... (keep in mind that some manufacturers won't even resharpen their own serrated blades...).   :-\
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

tgbto

I have an edgepro, mounted with the triangle-shaped sharpmaker rod. I sharpen my serrated knives this way, trying not to round the teeth. Then I sharpen the flat on a stone. Then I deburr freehand on the tormek disks, there usually is a LOT of deburring to be done.