News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Knives

Started by Bernie Weishapl, August 16, 2008, 01:59:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bernie Weishapl

Was wondering how are like kitchen knives or paring knives with serrated edges sharpened with the Tormek? I did some others for the wife and they came out just excellent. She said now I am dangerous. ;D Thanks.

Jeff Farris

Bernie,

Most serrated knives are flat on one side and the bevel and the profile are cut in the other side.  Smooth your grindstone carefully with the stone grader.  Then, working with the wheel turning away from the edge, hold the blade as flat as possible on the stone with light pressure and work the length of the blade.  The goal is to hone away enough of the flat side to create a new edge with the serrated profile.  After "lapping" the back of the blade, move the leather strop and polish the back.  Now give the corner of the leather honing wheel an extra little charge of compound right at the edge.  Hold the blade across the corner of the strop so that it fits into the concave surfaces of the serrations.  Move the blade slowly across the corner, letting it get in and out of each curve in the profile.
Jeff Farris

Bernie Weishapl

Thank you Jeff. I will give that a try. I sharpened all the wifes kitchen knives and 14 pair of her scissors. It worked great on them. She is pleased so I guess I am forgiven for buying it. I also sharpened 2 of my cheap PSI bowl gouges. I tried them out on a piece of pine. If it would have been a box I would not have to sand it. It was that smooth. Thanks again Jeff.

Joe_G

Is there a rule of thumb for picking the knife jig over the long knife jig? Is it a length constraint or flex?

Jeff Farris

Joe,

If the blade is rigid, either will work fine, as long as the blade is longer than the clamp. If you have both, use whichever one falls in your hand first for a rigid blade.  If the blade is flexible and over 6 inches, use the long knife jig.
Jeff Farris