News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Help with a second hand machine

Started by veedubguy, September 03, 2018, 12:03:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

veedubguy

Hi all

I picked up a second hand machine, I have a few little issues I need help with

1. The wheel stops at very light pressure - will this require that I use some sort of belt grip on the drive wheel with sand paper 60/80 grit?

2. The grinding wheel has a flat spot . Will the dressing tool take care of this? Is a hot spot an issue? As long as it's uniform across the stone?

Thanks
Andrew

Ken S

Welcome to the forum, Andrew.

Fortunately, both of your issues should be minor and easily corrected. Your slipping problem, as you noted, should be correctable by refreshing the surface of the rubber drivewheel with some abrasive paper.

I recommend using the TT-50 truing tool with several very light cuts. The first cut should barely touch the high spot. Lower the diamond cutter very gradually with successive cuts. I generally use about half a microadjust number. You will see and feel each pass touching more of the grinding wheel. When you have a pass which cuts the entire wheel, you are done. By carefully doing this, you will also have learned how to use the truing tool, a valuable skill.

I suggest frequent, very light truing cuts so that your gringing wheel never varies much from true.

You should register your Tormek, regardless of whether any warranty remains or not. Online registration lets you access the latest online edition of the handbook. You can access registration from tormek.com.

Please keep us posted.

Ken

cbwx34

Quote from: veedubguy on September 03, 2018, 12:03:12 PM

I picked up a second hand machine, I have a few little issues I need help with

1. The wheel stops at very light pressure - will this require that I use some sort of belt grip on the drive wheel with sand paper 60/80 grit?

Do both wheels stop or just the sharpening side?  If it's an older model (that doesn't have the EZ-Lock setup), make sure the nut holding the stone is tight... if not, the stone will stop turning as soon as you apply pressure (but the leather/honing wheel will keep going).
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Ken S

Good thought, CB. All of my Tormeks have the EZYlock; I wasn't thinking about pre EZYlock models.

Ken