News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

New Tormek Friends film: Woodworker Kerryn "Tool School" Carter

Started by marie, September 05, 2018, 11:14:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marie

Hello everyone,

We are happy to announce that Kerryn Carter from Sydney (Australia) is our new Tormek Friend!

Some short info about Kerryn:
She started her professional career as an accountant and lawyer, but never let go of her dream of becoming a woodworker. In 2012, she got the chance to take a class led by woodworker Stuart Faulkner and since then, Kerryn has continued to develop her interest in woodwork, which has now become part of her professional life. Today, Kerryn is recognized as a woodworker, writer and educator. She runs "Tool School", a woodwork school which primarily focuses on giving children and women the opportunity to work with tools and wood.

Don's miss the film where she tells more about her story. We hope you'll enjoy it!
https://www.tormek.com/international/en/about-tormek/news-archive/tormek-visit-woodworker-kerryn-carter/

Kind regards,
Marie - Marketing Manager, Tormek

Ken S

Marie,

Thank you so much for posting about Kerryn Carter and Tool School. Her students are most fortunate; I am certain that her positive enthusiasm is highly contagious and motivating. I am very pleased to see her and Tool School included with Tormek Friends. Tool School and Tormek Friends seem a good fit on many levels.

Keep up the good work!

Ken

Fernando

I think it's great that children can spread this kind of knowledge, just when they seem to be more interested in a mobile game, than in having physical activities, I think this is an excellent alternative to instill children's knowledge and develop their imagination .

RickKrung

Dang.  I know I'm a softie, but the part about teaching kids and particularly girls brought tears to my eyes.  Don't take it wrong, I loved that she is teaching children, but I have an almost 5-yr old granddaughter that I am teaching about tools and how to make things, so it hit close to home. 

Thanks Tormek and Kerryn.

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

marie

Hi Ken, Fernando and Rick,

I am so happy to hear that you enjoy the film. My father is a carpenter and I can really relate to Kerryn when she's talking about how she spent hours with her dad in his workshop. My father was the person who introduced me to many of the tools that I use today, and I have always been allowed to help him, which probably shaped my interest for making and DYI projects. I hope I will be able to pass this on to my future kids one day.

Thank you for taking the time to watch the film.
I wish you all a lovely Friday and a great weekend.

Kind regards,
Marie

Fernando

Quote from: marie on September 07, 2018, 07:55:47 AM
Hi Ken, Fernando and Rick,

I am so happy to hear that you enjoy the film. My father is a carpenter and I can really relate to Kerryn when she's talking about how she spent hours with her dad in his workshop. My father was the person who introduced me to many of the tools that I use today, and I have always been allowed to help him, which probably shaped my interest for making and DYI projects. I hope I will be able to pass this on to my future kids one day.

Thank you for taking the time to watch the film.
I wish you all a lovely Friday and a great weekend.

Kind regards,
Marie

In my country, it does not happen the same in others, it is said that the father " pampers / spoil, I do not know what the right word is to say that the father is more affectionate" the daughter more than the boy son.

I think you're very lucky to have the time, the guidance, the supervision and the company of your father, in this area.
if additional to this you enjoy learning from it, and you enjoy carpentry, you have already done a home run

enjoy it  ;)