News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

My edge is wrong on one side

Started by Haldor, March 01, 2018, 07:21:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Haldor

what am I doing wrong here? using markers to find the right angle on the edge. as you see, the edge is fine on the first grind but completely wrong on the other side.

Fernando

cbwx34

Quote from: Haldor on March 01, 2018, 07:21:18 PM
what am I doing wrong here? using markers to find the right angle on the edge. as you see, the edge is fine on the first grind but completely wrong on the other side.

I can't tell from your picture... but if the blade is ground at an angle from the spine toward the edge (like a full flat grind), one thing to check is that you center the blade in the clamp... otherwise it will "line up with one side of the clamp, and throw the angles off. (It will usually lie flat on the base of the clamp).  You can use tape or leather strips or something to "pad" and help hold it centered, as you tighten the clamp.  (If this is the case, it also helps to lightly tighten the front screw, or even keep it a little loose, and use the back screw to tighten things down, so the clamp better matches the angle of the grind).

The links Fernando posted have some good ideas... you might also take a look at this one... Knife Jigs Solution... which has some info on the thickness of blades and how it affects the angles.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)