News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Flattening the Stone grader

Started by Sharpco, February 18, 2018, 02:05:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sharpco

Hello, everyone.

I use the Stone grader for cleaning the SJ stone only. But Grader's fine side is not a flat so I have to flatten it. How can I do this? Can I use sand paper+glass?

I used a diamond plate to clean it, but I need a stone grader to remove the truing groove and I feel it is more convenient to use.

cbwx34

Quote from: SHARPCO on February 18, 2018, 02:05:12 AM
Hello, everyone.

I use the Stone grader for cleaning the SJ stone only. But Grader's fine side is not a flat so I have to flatten it. How can I do this? Can I use sand paper+glass?

I used a diamond plate to clean it, but I need a stone grader to remove the truing groove and I feel it is more convenient to use.

I'm guessing they come flat for manufacturing reasons... but IMO, work better once they start a concave shape that 'matches' the wheel a bit.  So, I'm not sure it needs flattening to work.

But if you decide to flatten it... I'd try sand or an abrasive on a flat piece of wet concrete... like a section of sidewalk.  No need to use glass.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Sharpco

Quote from: cbwx34 on February 18, 2018, 02:55:25 PM
I'm guessing they come flat for manufacturing reasons... but IMO, work better once they start a concave shape that 'matches' the wheel a bit.  So, I'm not sure it needs flattening to work.

But if you decide to flatten it... I'd try sand or an abrasive on a flat piece of wet concrete... like a section of sidewalk.  No need to use glass.

When I clean the SJ stone, it's cleaned outside first. This means that the grader has to wear that much outside to clean the middle of the SJ. So I have to flatten it.

BTW, I often use a rust eraser to clean the SJ stones, but I need a Stone grader to remove the grooves after truing the SJ. How about you? Have you any problem with stone grader?

Stickan

Hi,
The stonegrader will wear down. It should last as long as one stone.
To prevent it to get hollowed, us the stonegrader in different places, and move it on the stone frequently.

Sincerely,
Stig

Sharpco

Quote from: Stickan on February 19, 2018, 07:28:28 AM
Hi,
To prevent it to get hollowed, us the stonegrader in different places, and move it on the stone frequently.

Sincerely,
Stig

Stig.

I use the Stone grader for cleaning the SJ stone only and it is not worn by SJ. I have two Stone grader. The one shown in the picture is severely curved from the beginning, and the other is not noticeable. But when I used it to clean the SJ, I felt that both needed flattening.

cbwx34

Quote from: SHARPCO on February 19, 2018, 04:47:59 AM
When I clean the SJ stone, it's cleaned outside first. This means that the grader has to wear that much outside to clean the middle of the SJ. So I have to flatten it.

BTW, I often use a rust eraser to clean the SJ stones, but I need a Stone grader to remove the grooves after truing the SJ. How about you? Have you any problem with stone grader?

I've pretty much only used the rust eraser to clean the stone... and haven't had the need to true it, so haven't had much need for the stone grader on the SJ wheel.  On the other wheels, I've never felt the need to flatten the stone grader, even though it's no longer flat.

I think moving it around as Stig suggested, (similar to what can be done with a waterstone used for sharpening), should help... as opposed to flattening it.  You might even try holding it lengthwise... if all you're using it for is to clean as opposed to changing the grit, it shouldn't take as much pressure to do that.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Sharpco

Do you know what material is the Stone grader's fine side?

Ken S

Quote from: Stickan on February 19, 2018, 07:28:28 AM
Hi,

Sincerely,
Stig

Stig,

This is a most informative post. I have not seen the average lifespan of the stone grader listed before. I think some of us naively believe that anything Tormek, even consumables like grinding wheels and stone graders, will or should last "forever". I would call a stone grader lasting as long as one grinding wheel good value.

I do not know the abrasive make up of the stone grader. It is hard enough to grade the SB blackstone. Having ruined a two hndred dollar DMT diamond flattening plate flattening my grandfather's old oilstone, I would not try any heroics with flattening a stone grader beyond wet and dry abrasive paper on a plate of glass.

This question would be a good inclusion in a more advanced video.

Ken