News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Controversial dry or damp grinding

Started by Elden, December 16, 2015, 08:40:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elden

Removed by poster.
Elden

Jan

Removed by poster.

Ken S

removed by poster

stevebot

Steve Bottorff; author, teacher and consultant on knife and scissor sharpening.

SharpenADullWitt

HELLOOOOO........

Anyone out there?  Not sure why the whole conversation was deleted and yet the thread was left?????? :o :( :-X

Seems like a reasonable conversation (or what I initially saw this morning), with a close to end of life wheel, to LEARN, what and why.  Instead of deleting and leaving the blank thread, I would have expected more post links or quotes from other posts:

Quote from: Jeff Farris on January 29, 2013, 01:57:25 AM
It would be completely ineffective. The stone is designed to be fully saturated and have its surface washed. If it isn't, it will glaze quickly.

But, I have to ask, why would you want to use it dry?
from http://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=1503.msg5091#msg5091
Other threads; the first one makes me think of a Tormek video (define short grinding)
http://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=1525.msg5296#msg5296
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZ07gPtB6pg (marker method is dry grinding)

http://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=1030.msg2540#msg2540

http://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=1525.msg5296#msg5296
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Ken S

SADW,

The first three removals were a surprise to me, also. I did not remove them, nor did I ask for their removal. Since the remaining messages state, "removed by poster", I assume that Sweden did not remove them, either. In fact, Steve removed his  post before I even had a chance to read it. I saw no point in leaving my response to a no longer existing topic, therefore, I removed my post.

In my now removed reply I stated my opinion that the premise might well be correct. I noted that Ionut, who first mentioned the technique, is probably the most innovative member this forum has ever had and is also a very experienced Tormek user. Elden is also a very experienced Tormek user and sharpener. My concern was not whether or not the technique would work for an experienced user, but whether it would be a good technique for a less experienced user.

I also noted that dry grinding with a Tormek runs counter to the Tormek wet grinding philosophy. I did not state it, however, I was concerned that Sweden would not be comfortable with the topic. Personally, I feel that Elden has done some good preliminary testing and that his work deserves some further discussion. Tormek has made wet grinders since 1973 and for several years has sold adaptive accessories allowing the use of its jigs with dry grinders. Surely Tormek has also researched the topic. I would be interested in learning more of their procedures and results.

In my own defense, I would like to note that I was the member who ran tests similar to those done by Elden using the coarser Norton 3X grinding wheels with the Tormek. While I do not consider the Norton wheels an ideal match with the Tormek, I posted what I believe is a positive outcome.

I do consider such testing useful for the forum. I also think the shared information of the forum benefits such testing. To this I would add my personal opinion that the majority of members would be best served in their personal skill development by concentrating on mastering the fundamentals.

Ken

stevebot

That was my total post. A little forum humor ;)
Steve Bottorff; author, teacher and consultant on knife and scissor sharpening.

Ken S

Rob

Well I'm in a traditional British pub as I type. Sat by the open log fire drinking a fine cask conditioned ale, waiting for my sons to finish school to take them to see Star Wars. I logged on with an iPhone and thought the censors had finally lost the plot!

Wonder why Elden pulled his own post????
Best.    Rob.

Rob

Oh and it's a proper pint by the way. Not a metric measure in sight :-)
Best.    Rob.

grepper

I don't know what this post was about, but I tried dry grinding and as mentioned in the first link in SADW's post it generated a LOT of heat EXTREMELY quickly.  It was unacceptable.  I would not recommend it.

Herman Trivilino

Quote from: Rob on December 18, 2015, 02:10:35 PM
Oh and it's a proper pint by the way. Not a metric measure in sight :-)

Cheers! I always wondered why the British pints are larger than a half liter while ours are smaller. Now I know. They're "proper"!
Origin: Big Bang

Ken S

Rob,

No wonder we revolted. You Brits made us use smaller pints! That's just not cricket!

Ken :)