News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Angle Master or not ?

Started by Segovia123, September 21, 2020, 04:52:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Segovia123

Spent some time with my new T4 at the weekend and tested on a damaged 3/4" paring chisel with and existing 25-degree angle. 

I used the Angle master and set to 25 degrees, I ground the edge but it took a while to remove the sharpie from the front to the back of the bevel, so I guess I was re bevelling to 26 degrees.   

Is it best to ingnore the angel master and just go with a visual method using a shapie, i.e. a quick manual turn of the wheel that removes the sharpie is an indicator that I will be grinding an existing bevel and not creating a new one. 

cbwx34

Quote from: Segovia123 on September 21, 2020, 04:52:05 PM
Spent some time with my new T4 at the weekend and tested on a damaged 3/4" paring chisel with and existing 25-degree angle. 

I used the Angle master and set to 25 degrees, I ground the edge but it took a while to remove the sharpie from the front to the back of the bevel, so I guess I was re bevelling to 26 degrees.   

Is it best to ingnore the angel master and just go with a visual method using a shapie, i.e. a quick manual turn of the wheel that removes the sharpie is an indicator that I will be grinding an existing bevel and not creating a new one. 

J

IMO, it's not one or the other... if you're happy with the performance of the current angle use the Sharpie method, if you want to change it, use the AngleMaster.

You can also use the AngleMaster "post Sharpie"... and measure what angle the tool was sharpened at, for next time, or for reference in how it performs.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)