News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Oscillating Wheel

Started by Segovia123, September 20, 2020, 01:08:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Segovia123

Hi

Received my new T4 on Friday and had a quick lay with it this weekend on a couple of chisels.

The grinding wheel seems to oscillate as though it isn't completely round, I'll see if I can capture some Video. However, the best way I can describe it is as follows.

If I rest the chisel on the grinding wheel lightly, the handle end bobs up and down about 1mm on each turn of the wheel, there is a slight difference in tone (sound) that accompanies the rocking motion.

Is a new wheel likely to need truing? 

J   

helldan211

I have noticed that my wheel bobs up and down if I don't have it completely flat when I slide it on the arbors.  Make sure everything is flat before you tighten the plastic lock nut.  See if that makes a difference

micha

John,
a new wheel definitely is, if you want to get rid of any up-down movement.
Although 1 mm on a longer chisel handle doesn't seem much, you could even get that back after taking off and reinstalling the wheel. I've had more on a new SG wheel.

Being out of true would also explain the different sound. Might also be a bump, nick or some inclusion. All of these should also be cured by truing.

John_B

Another suggestion is that you mark the relative position and the shaft with your marker after truing. This will enable you to take the wheel off and then reinstall it in the same spot. This eliminates variations that may occur due to component tolerances.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

RickKrung

Sounds like your grindstone needs to be trued, using the truing tool - not the stone grader.  There is exhaustive discussion on the forum about truing stones.  Just do a search on the forum for "truing tool" and you will have gobs of reading.  If your T4 did not come with a truing tool, it is an essential tool and you should buy one - and learn to use it properly.  Be sure to get the new, updated version. 

I used to follow the practice of marking the stones (and diamond wheels) and making sure they go back on the machine the same way each time.  BUT...  my grindstones are trued, so there isn't as much need as in the case of your grindstone. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

Alihussein8

i noticed a slight wobble on my t4 stone a week after i purchased it, ended up purchasing a truing tool from amazon and that seemed to solve my problem, i dropped the support bar until it touches the stone, then I raised it up just a little, I was able to see a little light then turned the machine on. that's one way i checked if it was not true. goodluck!

Segovia123

Quote from: RickKrung on September 21, 2020, 04:01:16 PM
Sounds like your grindstone needs to be trued, using the truing tool - not the stone grader.  There is exhaustive discussion on the forum about truing stones.  Just do a search on the forum for "truing tool" and you will have gobs of reading.  If your T4 did not come with a truing tool, it is an essential tool and you should buy one - and learn to use it properly.  Be sure to get the new, updated version. 

I used to follow the practice of marking the stones (and diamond wheels) and making sure they go back on the machine the same way each time.  BUT...  my grindstones are trued, so there isn't as much need as in the case of your grindstone. 

Rick

I bought the truing tool with the T4, how do I know if its the updated version ?

RickKrung

Post a photo of it, we can tell you.  I don't know how to describe it, as I've never had one in my hands, but the head that travels across and holds the cutting points is more "streamlined".  Below is an image I took from the Tormek site on Accessories. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

cbwx34

Left to Right.... Oldest to Latest

Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Segovia123