News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Tormek stand

Started by tonylumps, July 15, 2014, 12:51:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Herman Trivilino

Quote from: Ken S on July 21, 2014, 01:41:09 PM
True, but I would try raising the floor (standing on a board) first, just in case your first thought isn't right. The famous New Yankee Workshop episode where Jeff rescued Norm from having dull tools produced a work station.  That work station featured a slide out step to raise the operator for using the vertical support position with knives.

That episode prompted be to buy my Tormek!  In this "Knife Sharpening with Tormek" video you can see Jeff using the stand.  About 3:30 minutes into the video he talks about and uses the step.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYURcwkKGPs

Origin: Big Bang

Rob

Following from Ken's comment about teaming Norm and Jeff in an adventure series.....

LOL....set in Tucson Arizona.  Clint would have to direct of course (Good the Bad and the Ugly music starts up).  Norm is asleep in a cell with Stetson pulled down over his eyes, winkle picker boots up on a three legged stool.  The roughly hewn wooden door bursts open and silhouetted against the evening sunset is.........One shot Farris.

"I've come fo' ma Pa"  he spits!  Sherriff Stig just barely squints and in his deep Southern drawl says "you'll need to sharpen up before you spring this stacked dado bluntin' varmint" and adds "see that fine crafted 3/4" birch ply platform over yonder?"  Yo' Pa's gunna be hangin' from that come sunup and there aint nuthin' you can do about it"

"Is that so"? Comes the reply from One shot as he turns to the camera to give a brief wink and wry smile.  He then whips out his huge T7, with the water trough waaaaaay too full for normal use.  In a flash its plugged in and spurts a jet of steel swarf filled water straight in the unsuspecting sheriff's eyes, blinding him temporarily.  Long enough however for the heroes to make their getaway. 

The last shot we see the two of them on the sunset blazed horizon astride their trusty steeds, various beautifully polished edges keep catching the sunlight, flashing and glinting at the camera.  And we all smile and feel warm inside :-)
Best.    Rob.

Ken S

Bravo, Rob!  BBC meets Spaghetti Western! The first fish and chips western. 8)

Rob

"Fish & Chips" Western. I like that.  Could be the start of a whole new genre.  Set in impoverished, soot blackened ex coal mining communities in deepest Yorkshire.  Ominous slag heaps looming on the horizon, each of the players wearing unfeasibly large cloth caps whilst stuffing massive chips cooked in Lard and wrapped in newspaper into their pinched faces.

I should perhaps point out that chip in the UK is French fry in the USA.  "Potato chip" in the USA is "crisp" in the UK.

What're thee doin tonight then...oh I'm off to see t' new "cod n chips" movie and y'sen?  I'm gunna check out that new "battered haddock and mushy peas" at t' flea pit down t' road.  Oh aye.
Best.    Rob.

SharpenADullWitt

Quote from: Ken S on July 22, 2014, 12:16:25 PM
Bravo, Rob!  BBC meets Spaghetti Western! The first fish and chips western. 8)

I think you will find fish finger and custard, and Doctor Who beat you to it. ;D
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

kennyk

Thought I may as well share this.  Based on the original dimensions, made from 18mm ply and some silver-fronted chipboard offcutthat was supplied screwed to a shipping pallet.  The whole unit is glued together with Franklin Titebond Original, with the exception of the top half of the double plinth, (2 sheets of ply) which houses the bolt for the rotating base I devised, and was screwed to the first plinth (screws hidden underneath the rotating base)

Ken S

A solid and good looking stand, Kenny.

Ken

kennyk

Thanks, Ken.  The difficult bit was manhandling the 8 by 4 sheet of ply on the Table Saw!

tonylumps

Kenny Nice stand .What height is it and it is .

kennyk

I took the dimensions from the leaflet that came with the T-7 describing the stand, but I think the height is around 30".  I'll need to check, as I added the extra 1 1/2" inches of height with the extra plinth and rotating platform.  then I put feet on it, so it's probably close to the 32" in the leaflet,  but  I'll check with a tape measure tomorrow.

Mike Fairleigh

+1, that's a nice stand.
Mike

"If I had 8 hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend 7 sharpening my axe."  --Abraham Lincoln

kennyk

Quote from: tonylumps on July 28, 2014, 11:39:03 PM
Kenny Nice stand .What height is it and it is .

Just measured, from the ground to the top of the rotating section is 33".     I think the sides are 29" high but by the time I'd put the top and bottom on, then  the extra top and rotating section, and the feet, it came out at  33".