News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

lawnmower blades?

Started by Andrewlcox, June 03, 2006, 04:32:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrewlcox

Hello everyone,

Will the Tormek sharpening system sharpen a standard pushmower blade? If so, what jig is required. I know this system is the best and that it may be overkill to sharpen a lawnmower blade with it but why not.

Thanks,
Andy

Jeff Farris

I have done mine several times, when nothing else was available.

It isn't fast, but it is very effective.

Turn the machine around so that the wheel is turning away from you and freehand grind the bevel of the lawnmower blade.  It takes a little experimentation to get a feel for finding the bevel.  Grind a bit, then look at it and see how well you are matching the original bevel.  Make adjustments to your presentation as needed.  Use the coarse side of your stone grader frequently to keep the stone cutting aggressively.

Unless you've hit an awful lot of rocks or failed to sharpen your blade for several years, it should be a half hour to 45 minute job.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Jeff
Jeff Farris

Gino

Hi Jeff,
Could you explain in details how to proceed to sharpen lawn mower blades on the Tormek T-7.

Thanks,
Gino

Herman Trivilino

Origin: Big Bang

SharpenADullWitt

Quote from: Herman Trivilino on September 02, 2014, 02:27:13 AM
Hi Gino. Welcome to the forum.

See Post #3 in this thread:

http://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=930.msg2537#msg2537

Post 3, from Jeff, also known as the don't try this professionally, slower then beard growing.  Post 4 from you gives directions.  Are you typing Freudian style, where you think it takes more time then worth? ;)
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Mike Fairleigh

Be aware that at least some of the major manufacturers specify that the blade not be completely sharp.  A truly sharp blade won't last much more than one mowing before the edge rolls over.  For example, Honda's mulching mowers specify as follows:

Mike

"If I had 8 hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend 7 sharpening my axe."  --Abraham Lincoln

Herman Trivilino

Quote from: KSMike on September 03, 2014, 04:05:49 AM
Be aware that at least some of the major manufacturers specify that the blade not be completely sharp. 

I wasn't aware of that.

QuoteA truly sharp blade won't last much more than one mowing before the edge rolls over.

In my experience that happens only when the edge angle is too small. When I increase the edge angle by several degrees I can keep the edge sharp for several weeks or even months.

grepper

I agree with Herman. 

I too was once told that mower blades should be dull after sharpening so they don't go dull too quickly.  Genius level thinking there!  Won't get dull because it already is dull!!!

Well,  manufacturer's specification or not, I'm not buying that idea.

I'll take a nice, sharp set of blades any day.  You can tell a lawn mowed with sharp blades just by looking at the turf after a mow.  It's obvious from a distance, and if you get down and examine the blades of grass, they are cleanly cut, not bashed, ripped and brutalized.  A good clean cut is better for the grass plant.

Like Herman said, a properly sharpened, sharp set of blades stays sharp a long time... unless you are mowing something other than grass like dirt or rocks.

Use sharp blade.  Have happy grass.  :)

Mike Fairleigh

YMMV.  I sharpen per the diagram and my grass is looking better than it has in 25 years.  On the other hand, I've had my blades sharpened by a professional shop and found them ruined after 2 mowings.
Mike

"If I had 8 hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend 7 sharpening my axe."  --Abraham Lincoln

Herman Trivilino

Those professionals are obviously not doing a very good job, Mike. They should have sharpened them in a way that they won't need sharpening that often. Yours is one way to accomplish that goal, but it's not the only way.

Look at the blades of grass after you mow. If they have crisp edges you're in good shape.

Mike Fairleigh

Yep, as I said, sharpening per factory specs, my grass has done better than it ever has.  No broken ends, no browning or fungus.  In the past I've paid to have them sharpened, DIY on a bench grinder, DIY with one of those worthless cone-shaped drill attachments, DIY with files... some have worked out better than others, but the tiny flat has made more of a difference than anything I've ever tried both for my grass and for my blades.

Most things are better off if you can get them atom-splitting sharp.  But there are exceptions.  Now if I could only find a solution to crabgrass in the flower beds.
Mike

Rob

If you split an atom nearby that'll take care of the crabgrass :-)
Best.    Rob.