News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

How to sharpen a ROUND skew ?

Started by toursiveu, December 17, 2012, 11:30:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

toursiveu

I've got a new Sorby ROUND skew chisel (see http://www.robert-sorby.co.uk/skew_chisel.htm) but I don't know how I have to sharpen it with my Tormek.
Thanks for your help.

Jeff Farris

This one took me a while to figure out, too, but it is really simple.

Put the skew in the SVS-50 just like a flat bladed skew. Bring the clamp down snug, but not tight. Put the jig on Universal Support and bring the tool bevel down onto the stone, with the machine switched off. Roll the tool in the jig until the bevel lays flat on the grindstone. Flip it over and confirm that both bevels match to the stone. It should be mentioned here that the grindstone needs to be parallel with the Universal Support -- as in, use your truing tool before you start doing this. Also, it is possible that the two bevels were not perfectly matched to each other in the factory grind. Both things are mentioned to keep some of you from driving yourselves nuts. If one side matches the stone, but the other doesn't, and you're sure the grindstone and Universal Support are parallel, then split the difference and create new bevels on both sides that do match. Once you have the roll where you want it, lock the jig and proceed just like a flat or oval skew.
Jeff Farris