News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Just purchased a T7 Magnum kit

Started by Darrendiver, March 19, 2011, 01:24:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darrendiver

Can't wait untill I shows up next week.  Best deal in Canada was from Big Bear Tools. Any suggestion on starting out with the set up of it?

ionut

Hi Darren,

Welcome to the club.
Great place to by the machine from, I also got all the Tormek related stuff from them, very good service and very reasonable prices regardless how difficult I am as a customer.
Find a good "sunny" place for the machine, open the box, assemble the machine (just add the stone to the shaft) admire it for as much as you like, read the manual, hook it to the power and start playing, be prepared to sharpen all the tools in your neighborhood.
There is a learning curve though, if you have unanswered questions check this forum, there is plenty of good information here that will help.

Ionut

Ken S

Welcome, Darren.

You don't say anything about your tool background.  Based on no info, I would recommend you start simply.  Chisels or knives are good starting tools.  Become fluent with one tool and gradually add.  Build your structure on a solid foundation.

Big Bear Tools are nice people to deal with, especially if you are Canadian and don't have to pay international shipping.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Ken

glh17

Congratulations on your purchase.  Tormeks are nice machines that last a very long time with a little care and maintenance. I got a SuperGrind 2000 several years ago and it's as good today as it was the day I bought it.  I'm not a heavy user but I'd used it enough years ago to consider it a good buy.  I wish I could say that about all my tools.

Read the manual and watch Jeff's video(s) on setup and using the jigs.  Learn to use the truing tool to keep the stone square to the universal support and use the stone grader to switch grades.  After that it's mostly about setting angles correctly and applying the right amount of pressure.  There's a learning curve, but the Tormek is a forgiving tool.  Through experience, watching the water flow over the cutting surface and listening to the sound of the stone provide good feedback.

I'd start with something simple like an old kitchen knife or chisel that you don't value a lot.  I practiced on an old block plane iron and kept with it until I got a sharp, square edge.  Sharp was easier than square.

Ken S

Darren,

There are a few of us on this forum who will gladly help you get started. However, if you want more than just the general, one size sort of fits all answers, you should give us some background information. 

Ken